Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

confused about switching to solids PIOG

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:45 AM
  • 3 Replies

My DD is about 5 months now and her doc wants her to start eating solids. She told me to start infant rice cereal, and once she gets used to that, introduce baby food. I heard you had to start with fruits, then do veggies. I have been feeding DD some inf rice cereal once in the morning and then once at night before bed. The rest of the feedings are just formula. I dont know when to start feeding her baby food and what to start with. And how often do I feed her? And do I give her formula with it? Before or after? I didn't really get to ask the doc because she is always rushing around and I always forget to ask the most important questions. I just wanna know how yall introduced your baby to solids. What baby food did you start with? How often did you feed her/him? How long did you feed cereal until you switched to baby food? When did you start feeding your baby finger foods? I am just really curious about the whole food transition...

I<3myLexi :)

baby girl

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mommyhonu
by Mary on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:48 AM

After the cereal I started my LOs on veggies. I heard somewhere if you feed them fruits that they will always want sweets. At first I would mix in a few spoonfuls in with the baby cereal. I would stick to one veggie a week that way would could figure out if our LO had any allergic reactions.

1wildchild
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:51 AM

We didn't follow doctor's "guidelines", I went with my instinct when it came to my DD. We introduced baby cereal mixed w/ breast milk at 4 months. She really hated it so she only had it a few times. At 6 months we introduced pureed baby food one food at a time. I don't remember if it was fruits or veggies first but they say to stick with ONE food for at least a week so that you will know if your baby has any allergies, it will be easier to pin point it on one food rather than having to pick it out of everything you've given her.

I think you should do baby cereal in the morning, formula in between and a fruit or veggie (again 1 at a time) for lunch, formula between and baby cereal again before bed. As she gets older and builds up a bigger appetite you can put a fruit or veggie in there for dinner as well and in time you will cut out the baby cereal. Good luck w/ everything, just follow your instincts.

Umm__Rashid
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:02 AM

we started with veg then fruit, I was told sometimes if you start with fruit they wont take veg because they will favor sweet....started with orange veg...sweetpotato, squash,carrot, pumpkin then moved to green....then started fruits....would feed one thing for a while and watch for reactions, once we worked through the single ingredient stuff we slowly worked in mixes that I knew he was ok with.

we are playing with fingerfoods now puffs are great because they disolve pretty quick, they can gumm on them and mush up...minimum choak hazard just a reminder never leave Lo alone with food keep a sharp eye on em' and make sure you brush up on baby hymlic so you can act qick and calm if the need arises

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)