Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You get what you pay for...

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:22 AM
  • 4 Replies

I think it's incredible how many of us (Yes I have been guilty of this too) ask perfect strangers for medical advice.

"What does this look like?"  Maybe it's a burn but maybe it's a staph infection that will require doctor prescribed antibiotics.

"I have a numbness or tingling on the right side of my body...What could it be?"  It could be you slept on your neck wrong and pinched a nerve or it could be that you are having a stroke and you really need to stop talking to us and get to a doctor.

"When I use the bathroom, there is blood on the toilet paper."  That could be an infection, kidney stones that may need surgery because they won't pass on their own, or a miscarriage.

These are just some examples I can remember of things I've seen here.  I'm not saying it isn't within the realm of possibility but I would say that you won't find a doctor on here to answer your question.  Doctors and nurses don't give medical opinions for free.  Their patients have to make a phone call or be seen by them.  Asking medical advice of strangers when they don't know you or your medical history and are not able to give you a full physical examination seems crazy to me.  If you have a medical question that has to do with your body, you need to call a healthcare professional not discuss it with a group of well intentioned strangers.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Honeybun09
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I know when I post about medical issues, it has nothing to do with wanting MEDICAL advice. More like advice in general. Or like a "What would you do" situation.

I'm not actually hoping someone can diagnose a problem over the internet LOL. I think that would be silly.

~Honeybun09: Babies Mod~Have a baby? Come join the Babies group today!

lovemy2boys39
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Quoting Honeybun09:

I know when I post about medical issues, it has nothing to do with wanting MEDICAL advice. More like advice in general. Or like a "What would you do" situation.

I'm not actually hoping someone can diagnose a problem over the internet LOL. I think that would be silly.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

CAMKsMom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Quoting Honeybun09:

I understand your point.  But it wasn't 5 minutes ago I saw one of these scenarios play out...With photographs!  So while we wouldn't expect a diagnosis over the internet, it's apparent that some people think it's okay and I think it's very dangerous and didn't feel like "biting my tongue" anymore. 

CafeMom Tickers
babygomez
by April on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)