Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do if you saw this (re: carseat safety)?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:17 PM
  • 37 Replies

I know that one of the big debates on CM lately has been whether or not to ERF.  Well, I was shocked today when I was at Target and watched a mom get her infant carrier (with baby inside) out of the backseat from a forward facing position.  And yes, definitely forward facing because the car drove past me in the parking lot and then stopped at the front of the store to let the mom and baby out so I got a good look at the carseat twice.  I thought I was seeing things wrong when the car passed me, but then I saw her getting the baby out when I walked in the store.  We later passed this mom and her baby in the store, and I could tell there was no way that baby was over 1 and 20 pounds.  Most infant carriers don't go past 20 pounds, and this baby was smaller than my baby who is 4 months old and only 16 pounds.  I really wanted to say something, but I'm very non-confrontational and DH told me just to let her be.

I know I'm going to get the standard "you don't know how old the baby was" lines on this, but seriously, this baby was small and looked more like a baby than a budding toddler.  I guess maybe the parents don't know the law, but I just wonder how could you not.  All the carseats we've ever bought have stated the AAP recommendations not to mention we were told multiple times in the hospital what our state laws are regarding infant carseat safety.

So what would you have done?

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ArmyWifeNoDrama
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:18 PM

BUMP!

sissychristi
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I would have dialed the police and let them know. That way when they came out of the store, the police would be waiting. 

I actually had to do that once. I was parking and another car parked right next to me as I was getting out of my car. There were 2 adults in the front seat and an adult and carrier in the back of a 2 door Camero. The carrier was not attached to a base or buckled in and was turned sideways! 

So I called the police as they went into the store. Sure enough, they were waiting for the people and made them wait in the parking lot for someone else to come with the car seat base in a different car to pick up the mom and baby. In the meantime, the cops gave them a ticket too. 

aaavasquez
by Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Well I probably wouldn't have done anything either but been as pissed as you are. I was actaully at target the other day and saw some parents looking for a carseat for their ds who was probably about 12-14mo old and they were putting him in the displays to see how he liked them. Well turned out they ended up picking a forward facing booster seat the one that comes with no belts you have to use a regular seat belt with. Which I know he is waaay to young for but I didn't feel it was my place to tell complete strangers wht to buy. It just sucks that some parents don't care if thier kids are safe or not

Honeybun09
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:23 PM

BUMP!

Barronbaby
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM
I'd have called the cops nad given them the cars plate number.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Infant carseats are NOT meant to be used in a FF position PERIOD.Regardless of baby's age or weight.

I'm not sure how I would have handled it though.I'm also a pretty non-confrontational person as well.

MamaBear2cubs
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:27 PM

BUMP!

Journey311
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Now I'm kicking myself for not thinking of calling the police.  MrsApple, you make a good point, which is another thing I had completely forgotten because I guess it's just common sense.  Our infant carrier has warnings all over the side of the seat and base not to use it in a forward facing position.

GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I think I would have called the police. Although you're right that they may not necessarily know the law. The hospital we've gone through didn't tell me any carseat laws and after they wheel us out they've never waited for us to get her in before leaving. :-S

Journey311
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Quoting GodsAmiga:

I think I would have called the police. Although you're right that they may not necessarily know the law. The hospital we've gone through didn't tell me any carseat laws and after they wheel us out they've never waited for us to get her in before leaving. :-S

Oh wow!  I had both my babies at the same hospital and in between them, they enacted a policy that required every first time parent to have their car seat checked before being discharged.  I had my DD in February, and the nurses had us put her in the carrier before we left the room.  I had the carrier in my lap as they rolled me down, but the nurses also checked to make sure I had put her in the carrier correctly.  DD was our 2nd baby so we weren't required to have the car seat tech inspect our seat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)