• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any suggestions?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:29 PM
  • 12 Replies
My DD is 5 1/2 months and today she cut her first tooth. Lately she's been waking up more in the middle of the night and she's been much more fussy than usual... Is that the reason why she's been acting differently? Does anyone have any suggestions for soothing a teething baby?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
weaveress
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:31 PM

heylands teething tablets from walmart were a god send when my oldest was cutting teeth.

marywilliams
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:38 PM

We tried everything.  What worked best is called "Gum-omile".  We put that on Caroline's gums and she sleeps all night!  Teething tablets worked for a little bit, but that oil worked the best.

babygomez
by April on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:40 PM

i don't know how you feel about baby orajel, but i used that with my daughter when needed and also i used to give my daughter a boo boo buddy to bite on, they are used for bumps & bruises but they worked for my daughter when she was teething too. Also a frozen washcloth :]

gwen407
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Yes they are!!! My DD would not take anything else.

Quoting weaveress:

heylands teething tablets from walmart were a god send when my oldest was cutting teeth.

Jaxsonsmama2009
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:54 PM
I know it sounds crazy but my son loves to chew on leather saddle strings. I tie or braid them and leave the ends loose for him to chew on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2xp
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:52 PM

I bet that would work great!! My dd likes to chew on a frozen washcloth, and the teething tablets seem to work pretty good. I have also heard vanilla extract works, just rub a tiny bit on their gums. I'm not sure though she hasn't been crabby since I heard that

Quoting Jaxsonsmama2009:

I know it sounds crazy but my son loves to chew on leather saddle strings. I tie or braid them and leave the ends loose for him to chew on.

Honeybun09
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Tylenol, orajel, lots of love and cuddles

~Honeybun09: Babies Mod~Have a baby? Come join the Babies group today!

Blessedmommy691
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:58 PM

My son liked it when i would get a wash clothe wet and then put it in the frezzer. Its a cheap way to shoothe . They also make orajel for the night time . Ive never used it but its worth a shot it u have not alsready tried .

Armygrl1
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Errr, I know you said you heard it, not that you used it but everyone needs to remember as a word of caution Vanilla Extract contains Alcohol.

Quoting mommy2xp:

II have also heard vanilla extract works, just rub a tiny bit on their gums. I'm not sure though she hasn't been crabby since I heard that

JoeyJrsMomma
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:15 AM

You'll have to try a bunch of things and find what works best for her. My son's favorites are the mesh teether things with an ice cube in it. It numbs his gums without having to give him any medicine. Hylands didn't work for him. I couldn't use the regular orajel, but they make the orajel that comes in the q-tips, you break one end off and the orajel flows into the other end and you rub that on the gums. We don't use that all the time, just when he's really bad bc we've read that orajel can make the gums tougher which makes the teeth harder to come through. I asked his pedi about what to use and she said whatever works and wasn't concerned about orajel so we use it in moderation. Tylenol works well and so does Motrin, when she reaches 6 months, but Motrin can upset tummies, which we found out the hard way when DS threw up from it after taking it a few times for a fever! He also love to chew on his shirt or anything that is cloth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)