Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you use a convertible car seat or infant seat?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:46 PM
  • 48 Replies

I thought we were just going to use the convertible seat we already have, but I've been finding out that the world is not made for those of us without an infant carrier type seat.  I think my mom is going to buy us an infant seat.

So, which do you use and why?

Do you have 2 kids under 2 years old? Join my group to share, learn and vent. www.cafemom.com/group/2undertwo

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dragonfly.1982
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:52 PM

We have the baby trends expidetion sp?  Its an infant carrier that came with a stroller.  But we also have a convertible one my mom got us at our shower for when he gets bigger not sure what it is though.

ArmyWifeNoDrama
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Convertible. It is cheaper in the long run. Just by a stroller that has a reclining seat that folds like an umbrella. Combi and Mia Moda are great strollers.

Miss.Cullen
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:56 PM

I use an infant seat. Honestly didn't even know newborns could be in convertibles, although my son was premature so he wouldn't of been able to, otherwise I would of had a convertible since birth.
He is 9 months and very tiny still so we're still in an infant seat. Once he hits max we will go convertible.

MommyRJ
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:58 PM

infant seat. wayyyyyyy more convenient for outings...carts, strollers etc. and with a 20mo baby is safer haha.

plus our winters are extremly harsh so its warmer.

asil
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:02 PM

we used an infant seat until 6 months with my oldest... when she had hip surgery and was moved to a convertable special made seat for kids in body casts.

with my second, she was sent home at just 4 pounds and we had planned on using a convertable from day 1... we couldn't and had to buy a cheapie infant carrier (we actually got one from the hospital for $25 bucks) to use until she hit 5 pounds.

with this one we are thinking of sticking with the convertable... if possible, if baby is big enough. 

the world is made for those that use infant carriers, and with my first it was easiest... baby out of car, into cart, and on the way... but i HATED carrying that thing around, my kids wouldn't sit in them long if they weren't in the car, and it ended up just being a hassle at places like stores and restaurants.  we ended up holding the baby anyhow and having to stash the seat somewhere.

i would suggest investing in either a good stroller for shopping, or if it's warm enough (which it's not always around here in winter i'm in WI) but using an infant carrier or wrap for shopping or while out and about...

everyone is different though, my bestie friend would die without her infant carrier, she used it with both her kids until they reached the max and they loved them...

mommyof2grls06
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:10 PM

I use an infant seat just because it gets cold here and I want to keep the baby warm. If it's not cold I take the baby out of the seat and wear her anyway, so I basically have a convertible seat if I don't want to lug it around.

A proud Christian, Republican, Breastfeeding, Attachment parenting, Natural, Drug free Childbirthing, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing, ANTI- CRY IT OUT, Anti-vax, mommy to my 3 beautiful girls and wife to my Marine!

It's a child not a choice.

Women should not feel guilty if they are UNABLE to breastfeed, but they should feel guilty if they are UNWILLING to do so, and they should be intellectually honest enough to know the difference.

mommy2xp
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:41 PM

I used an infant seat because i have all winter babies and it get cold here so it kept them warm in and out of places, soon as summer hits we switched to convertible

ttaylor1998
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Only a convertible.   Outings are super easy if you wear your baby. ;)

Honeybun09
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:47 PM

We used an infant seat and then a convertible.

I probably will with the next baby too. I want to know, based on their growth pattern for at least the first 6-8 months, if they're going to be tall and skinny or move average, that way I know whether to get the True Fit or the My Ride LOL.

~Honeybun09: Babies Mod~Have a baby? Come join the Babies group today!

erinsmom1964
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:48 PM

I used the infant carrier for convenience.  It is so much easier to get a small infant around when they can't sit up or anything.  We then switched to a convertible at 5 months because by then she could sit up with propping help in carts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)