Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does oragel really work?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:52 PM
  • 15 Replies
DD Is having a hard time teething and I want to do something to make her comfty! She's feels so miserableeee!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2xp
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:53 PM

I've read and heard it makes the gums harder so that the teeth have a harder time coming through. I'm scared to use it since it numbs everything, I'm worried about them swallowing it and their throat going numb

MorgansYoungMom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:53 PM
It worked for my DD, however after a while, it lost all its affect... Poor baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Honeybun09
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:54 PM

It worked for Esmeralda!

~Honeybun09: Babies Mod~Have a baby? Come join the Babies group today!

Miss.Cullen
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:55 PM

No it doesn't, like mentioned above that is how Oragel works. It hardens the gums, while giving temporary satisfaction it will make it even harder for the teeth to come through = more days of teething and teething pain. Vicious cycle.

Try some teething tablets!!

othermom
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:55 PM

It works some what for my daughter, I don't use it very often.

TOMBOI
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:56 PM
I know a lot of ppl says it makes the throat numb..I have always rubbed a lil dark color liquor on my babies gum..
But u can freeze a couple of teether rings in juice of your choice so she can bite on til it melts..I would put 6 or 8 in juice an sit til they harden a when 1 melts just pull another out..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sadiesmom87
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:57 PM

This is true. Also, with very young babies, if you use too much it can numb their throat to the point that it paralyzes their gag reflex. This can cause them to not swallow the spit in their mouths and they can choke on it.

For those reasons oragel is NOT allowed in our house. We use Hyland's All-Natural Teething tablets. They've worked for DD and all 3 of her cousins.

Quoting mommy2xp:

I've read and heard it makes the gums harder so that the teeth have a harder time coming through. I'm scared to use it since it numbs everything, I'm worried about them swallowing it and their throat going numb

ConnersMom03
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:05 PM

We have the smart dose Baby Oragel, that gives out a tiny amount with one squeeze. She has been cutting teeth for the past few days and I give it to her if she is crying a lot and it really helps. I try not to use it too much, though. She mainly needs it to calm down and go to sleep at night. She usually loves her teether, but doesn't want it much right now- hmm.

Lilypie - (OOt4)Lilypie - (5t0d)

Local Information and Home-based Job

luanhelo
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:07 PM
Well is a good thing I just put a little bit on! You guys scared the h... Out of meeee! Where can I get the tablets?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miss.Cullen
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Pretty much anywhere. WalMart, Target, any store like CVS/Rite Aid.. etc. 

Quoting luanhelo:

Well is a good thing I just put a little bit on! You guys scared the h... Out of meeee! Where can I get the tablets?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)