• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baptism attire (very casual)

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:29 AM
  • 12 Replies

ok, we recently set up the plans for our childrens baptism. I am NOT a religious person. My husband says that he is catholic and comes from a catholic family, but he does not go to church or anything like that. We are baptizing our kids in a very casual ceremony, mainly just celebrating their life and trying to respect the tradtions of our family.

I bought my daughter a very simple white cotton eyelet dress. it has puffed sleeves and is knee length. For my son, i am just wanting to put him in a white polo shirt, but i can decide if i want to put him in khaki, light grey, or black slacks, or khaki, light grey, or black pants? They are getting baptized on July 31, so it is going to be hot out.

what do you think would look best? i guess i need to add that this is NOT a formal ceremony, it is NOT in a catholic church. We are having a female reverend and her exact words are,

"I’ll be back in touch as the date gets closer to confirm any final details.  The ceremony is very informal, so there’s really nothing you need to prepare."

i am a proud mommy of one very ornery 1 year old little boy and one very goofy 4 year old little girl, ive been married for 3 years, together for 5 1/2. fun loving, eco-friendly, creative, different strokes work for different folks, stay at home and work at home mommy!

http://www.PerfectWorkForMoms.com     http://www.HealthySafeAndClean.com

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Both of my children were baptized in formal baptism gowns (including my son). The priest generally requests that the child be dressed in ALL white, so your son's entire outfit needs to be white (at least our priest did request this, as they did when I was a babe).

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our children that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Something all white and formal

Honeybun09
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:45 AM

BUMP!

Des10ed2b
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:43 AM

i guess i should emphasize that this is NOT a formal ceremony, nor is it a catholic ceremony, nor is it in a catholic church. i hope that helps.

i am a proud mommy of one very ornery 1 year old little boy and one very goofy 4 year old little girl, ive been married for 3 years, together for 5 1/2. fun loving, eco-friendly, creative, different strokes work for different folks, stay at home and work at home mommy!

AutymsMommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Quoting Des10ed2b:

i guess i should emphasize that this is NOT a formal ceremony, nor is it a catholic ceremony, nor is it in a catholic church. i hope that helps.

If it isn't a Catholic ceremony in a Catholic church then I do not know. Catholics are the only denomination (that I am aware of) that practices infant baptism (baptism before the child reaches age of consent). Maybe Lutherans do also, but I'm not certain.

I think you are speaking of a "dedication ceremony"?

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our children that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

srhtinker1981
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:51 AM

I go to  a non-denomination church ( Christian ) and when they get baptize they ask everyone to wear sweats and T's that you can't see through when wet of course, for the actual act. Then get changed in your usual clothes.

Sarah

VintageWife
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:54 AM
Khakis for your son
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Des10ed2b
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:04 PM

no. it is none of those things. We do not belong to a church. It is just for family tradition and to celebrate the life of our children and completion of our family.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting Des10ed2b:

If it isn't a Catholic ceremony in a Catholic church then I do not know. Catholics are the only denomination (that I am aware of) that practices infant baptism (baptism before the child reaches age of consent). Maybe Lutherans do also, but I'm not certain.

AutymsMommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Okay. You said "baptism".

Quoting Des10ed2b:

no. it is none of those things. We do not belong to a church. It is just for family tradition and to celebrate the life of our children and completion of our family.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting Des10ed2b:

Des10ed2b
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:11 PM

thats what the church we are doing it at calls it also. baptism, christening, whatever. They just believe that a child is already born complete and does not need to be baptised to be accepted to heaven or anything like that. so they celebrate their life and the completion of family instead.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Okay. You said "baptism".

Quoting Des10ed2b:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting Des10ed2b:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)