Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Breastfeeding Help

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:59 PM
  • 16 Replies

I am a first time mom with a 18 day old little boy.  I am breastfeeding entirely and he is really gassy and constipated.  I have been trying to find a good list of resources of what I should and should not eat but I havent found anything great.  Does anyone know of a list out there or could tell me ideas of what to avoid so that I help out his poor little tummy!

Thanks!

by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlemomma84
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 1:05 PM

If elimination of a certain food eliminates fussiness, gas, or colic, GREAT! You solved the problem. If not, you and your baby may have to wait-it-out until the digestive system matures. Many babies suffer from gas and gastric sypmtoms for the first 3 months of life.

Here is a list of common causes. You don't have to stop them all. I would try 1 for a couple days and then change to another if it didn't help.

Beans

Broccoli

Brussel sprouts

Cabbage

Caffeine

Cauliflower

Citrus fruits

Corn

Dairy products

Eggs

Hot peppers

Iron supplements

Medicines

Onions

Peanuts

Shellfish

Soy and tofu

Spicy food

Tomato

Wheat

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Newborns are often gassy, so it may just be something you have to wait out.  If he isn't screaming in pain from the gas, then he's fine.  There are Mylicon drops you can use if you have to, but again, if he isn't in pain, they're not necessary.  And you can do the bicycle legs - push them up into his tummy and see if you can't work the gas out. 

You're not going to fine a list of foods you shouldn't eat, because really you can eat anything, as long as it doesn't upset you or your LO.  And those foods are different for different people.  A core list of things to stay away from for a while are dark greens (broccoli, spinach, etc), chocolate, caffine, and as a last resort dairy products.  But the dairy is really only if you discover that your LO has an intolerance, so I wouldn't cut that out yet.

Join this group.  The ladies here have excellent information.

lyndallsmom
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Gassiness and fussiness can also be caused by overactive letdown or too much foremilk.

Overactive letdown is when your milk flows too fast baby can cough or spit up or not latch on.

In either case, block feeding is recommended. Try using 1 breast for 2 or 3 feedings then switching to the other breast for the next few feedings. Also, keep baby latched on until he unlatches himself. Don't initiate the end of the feeding. He will stop when he is full.

Check out the breastfeeding group. There are tons of links and moms with great advice there too.

Elimination diets are difficult and it can take a long time to see results.

Kim

in lovebreastfeedinggirl on a swing

Kim & Alan              Mia                     Lyndall

8/2/03                10/1/2008             3/20/05

mrs.reece
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 1:22 PM

these momma's have given you some great advice! but i have to ask how long has it been since your lo has had a bm? an exclusively breast fed baby can go for up to 7 days between bm's before they are considered constipated. 

Heather881029
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 1:26 PM

You have already gotten great advice.  I also suggest checking out kellymom.com and joining the breastfeeding moms group here.

MarigoldsMama
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Quoting Heather881029:

You have already gotten great advice.  I also suggest checking out kellymom.com and joining the breastfeeding moms group here.

I was going to say the same thing. The breastfeeding group is great and http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great resource too!

CafeMom Tickers

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Quoting mrs.reece:

these momma's have given you some great advice! but i have to ask how long has it been since your lo has had a bm? an exclusively breast fed baby can go for up to 7 days between bm's before they are considered constipated. 

OMG - I totally missed the part about being constipated...  It is true that EBF babies can go up to 2 weeks without popping, but usually not this young.  That doesn't usually hold true until after 3 or 4 months of age. 

OP - What makes you think he is constipated?  Does he poop at least once a day?  And when he does poop (even if not once a day) what are they like?  As long as the poop is liquidy and kind of looks like mustard with seeds in it, you're fine. If the poop is green in color and kind of frothy looking (I know gross, LOL) then he is getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk.  This is usually do to an oversuppy (like a PP said).  The best (if not the only) way to correct this is to block feed.  Feed on the same side for 2-3 feedings and then feed on the other side for 2-3 feedings.  A newborn does NOT need to eat from both sides.  My DS only ate off one breast per feeding until he was about 4 months old.  And ALWAYS let your son determine when to come off the breast.  Don't do "timed" feedings, ie., don't feed for 10-15 mintues on one side and then switch.  That is not good.

How are his other diaper counts?  Does he pee at least 6 times in a 24 hour period? 

Marimaru
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I highly, highly, highly recommend the breastfeeding group on here.  There are some women in there who seriously have all the right things to say to make you feel supported and knowledgeable about getting through all this.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325

maggiebella25
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 2:22 PM

That's a good comprehensive list. I hope you are trying colic tabs, or gas drops?

gavinmommy2010
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Thank you everyone soooo much! When I think he is getting really bothered is when he kicks his legs back and forth kinda looking like a frog and he gives the look like he is trying to poop and nothing happens.  At that point he starts to scream and this is about a hour long event.  He has been doing it for the past 4 days but he still has pooped eachday.  I will say that I was told to switch boobs every 10-15 minutes but I will try the letting him feed off the same one for 3 or 4 feedings and see how that goes.  Also I will join the breastfeeding group I did not know there was one on here.  Thank you so much ladies for all the input!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN