Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

I am a first time mom with a 18 day old little boy.  I am breastfeeding entirely and he is really gassy and constipated.  I have been trying to find a good list of resources of what I should and should not eat but I havent found anything great.  Does anyone know of a list out there or could tell me ideas of what to avoid so that I help out his poor little tummy!

Thanks!

by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:59 PM
Replies (11-16):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jul. 7, 2010 at 2:56 PM

BUMP!

Schleetle
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 2:58 PM

The breastfeeding group is great, and kellymom.com is also a great resource. Gerber also has a hotline where you can call a Lactation Consultant anytime 24-7 for free advice if you don't have already have one to help with your questions. You have some great suggestions here so I hope you find something that helps, good luck!

rockinmomto2
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Kellymom.com or.org (i can't remember) That's the best breastfeeding website ever.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Quoting gavinmommy2010:

Thank you everyone soooo much! When I think he is getting really bothered is when he kicks his legs back and forth kinda looking like a frog and he gives the look like he is trying to poop and nothing happens.  At that point he starts to scream and this is about a hour long event.  He has been doing it for the past 4 days but he still has pooped eachday.  I will say that I was told to switch boobs every 10-15 minutes but I will try the letting him feed off the same one for 3 or 4 feedings and see how that goes.  Also I will join the breastfeeding group I did not know there was one on here.  Thank you so much ladies for all the input!

I'd be willing to bet that that is where all your issues are stemming from.  This is not good advice.  He isn't getting hindmilk, which will really throw off his little body.  I wouldn't do anything (change diet, gas drops, etc.), until you try just letting him nurse off of one breast per feeding.  You may not even need to go as far as block feeding as of yet, as it doesn't sound like you have an overactive letdown.  Just nurse off of one side per feeding.  If he pulls off by himself after 20-25 minutes and still seems like he wants more, THEN switch sides, but not until then.

LylahBellesMom
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 5:14 PM

My dd who was ebf til 1 year only had a bm every 6 days on average she is 28 months now and only started having a bm every other day but still bf prob 20x a day

peaches_04
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 5:17 PM

drink lots of apple juice...i have the opposite problem and tehy asked what i was eating/drinking and i told them i drink 8 glasses of apple juice a day(not a water fan) and they said thats prob wahts causing all  the stooling

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)