Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

almost 22 month old and talking

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:33 AM
  • 22 Replies

ok. i have posted about this before, but here i go again. My son will be 22 months old in a couple weeks. he is very smart, but does not talk a ton. We have a family member who works with children who are developementally delayed and literally, every single time that we see her she asks if we have had our son evaluated by a speech therapist yet.

Its something that i have spoken to his pediatrician about already, and she said she doesnt see a need to be alarmed. he actually has a pretty good vocabulary, you just need to prompt him to say them, however, his receptive language is GREAT. he can follow directions very well. things like, "do you want to take a bath?" and he will start taking off his close and pointing to the bathroom. or "go get your shoes" and he will go to the shoe shelf and pick them out and bring them to me and sit down.

He can say most of his body parts. he will point and can say:

eye, nose, mouth, hair, ear

if her gets hurt and cant say the body part he points and says, "that"

He can identify most his colors 90% of the time. if we are out at the park i can say, "where is the pink flower" and he will go point to it.

He can say all the immediate members of his family (modified of course) ma, da, ala (cayla), bear (the dog), bon (bonnie, the other dog), baba, bill, papa, beau (grandpas dog), annie (angie)

you can ask, "what does a cow say?" and he proudly yells, "moo!" he can also say a chicken says, "bock bock", the dog says, "woof woof", the birdie says, "twee twee" he usually doesnt get it right the first time, but ask i say it, he will repeat that the horse says, "neigh" and a snake says, "ssssss".

he can also say, move, no, yes, yeah, uh-huh, bed, hurt, mine, hold, down, stop, hot, hotdog, love you, fall, uh-oh, ball, bye-bye, hi.  he is NOT putting many words together yet.

Does he really seem that behind?

i am a proud mommy of one very ornery 1 year old little boy and one very goofy 4 year old little girl, ive been married for 3 years, together for 5 1/2. fun loving, eco-friendly, creative, different strokes work for different folks, stay at home and work at home mommy!

http://www.PerfectWorkForMoms.com     http://www.HealthySafeAndClean.com

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:09 AM

It doesn't sound like he is to far behind, but there is nothing wrong with getting him checked anyways. It may help him.

Des10ed2b
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:44 PM

BUMP!

ZnEMJW
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:48 PM

My youngest is 20 months old and she is the same way. It's weird for me though, because my oldest was talking really well by the time she turned one. 

MrsApple
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:25 PM

He sounds perfectly normal.I'm betting you that as soon as he turns two,his vocabulary will take off.I'm not seeing anything to worry about.

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Sounds normal to me!

isaiahsmomma86
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:12 PM

My mom always told me boys get their motor skills faster, girls learn to talk faster. My SIL  has a son who will be three in October. He wasnt talking a whole lot until now, he understands what every one is saying, it just took him a while to speak.

erinsmom1964
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Quoting othermom:

It doesn't sound like he is to far behind, but there is nothing wrong with getting him checked anyways. It may help him.

stellarluna
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:16 PM

nope not at all ; ) Boys are a little later than girls.  My son is very smart, he's 2 1/2 and we've just now begun to see a big difference in his vocabulary, he communicates a ton now!  Out of no where.  Between 2 and 3 is usually the biggest jump in vocabulary.  He seems normal to me mama.  Wait until he's three to revisit this issue, but I can almost guarantee he'll blossom in that year.

KZ_MoMmA
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:33 PM

my son is 17 months old now and he says about the same as your son. he doesnt know his colors, but we are working on that right now. i havent really started the numbers either but he can count to three.

he can say nose, ears, eyes, mouth, momma, daddy, kitty, baba, bana (banana), bath, nite nite, bye bye, hello, yes, no, tig tig (tigger stuffed animal), nanny, papa, tv, clock, fan, eat, bite, drink, juice, milk, down, baby, boy, girl.

thats all i can think of. sorry so long!

Des10ed2b
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Quoting isaiahsmomma86:

My mom always told me boys get their motor skills faster, girls learn to talk faster. My SIL  has a son who will be three in October. He wasnt talking a whole lot until now, he understands what every one is saying, it just took him a while to speak.

that is him to a T. he can run, jump, take things apart, do puzzles, color and all of those things a lot faster then his older sister did, but his sister was talking much more and much faster then him.

its also tough, because i am home with him all day, so i hear him talk a lot. When we are around a lot of family he gets really excited and has a tendency to babble more then talk. So, of course, that leads everyone to believe that he doesnt know HOW to talk.

i am a proud mommy of one very ornery 1 year old little boy and one very goofy 4 year old little girl, ive been married for 3 years, together for 5 1/2. fun loving, eco-friendly, creative, different strokes work for different folks, stay at home and work at home mommy!

http://www.PerfectWorkForMoms.com     http://www.HealthySafeAndClean.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)