Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*Topic of the week*

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:39 AM
  • 17 Replies

Education

*I don't expect everyone to answer every question, just thought everyone could share opinions on what they feel is best*

Will you send baby to preschool? If you have older children did you?

Do you homeschool?

How do you feel about homeschooling?

Do you send your children to public or private?

How do you feel about both?

What subjects do you feel are the most important?

What education tools do you use at home to start educating your little one? (flash cards, work books, DVDS, computer websites, ETC)

babies come join us! 

Love baby names? Looking for a baby name? Come join us at Baby Name Central *Admin*

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaRaBaSsEtT
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:44 AM

I already have/will send my kids to pre-k at age 3.  They will/do go to public schools.  Homeschooling is not for us, personally I think kids need that interaction with other kids their age.  Private school is a good idea I think, if you can afford it!  I have nothing against it. 

1wildchild
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Education

*I don't expect everyone to answer every question, just thought everyone could share opinions on what they feel is best*

Will you send baby to preschool? If you have older children did you? Yes, as soon as she is 3 yrs.

Do you homeschool? No

How do you feel about homeschooling? I have actually considered homeschooling DD but she will probably go to a public school.

Do you send your children to public or private? If we could afford private school she would go there but I don't think that will be possible, especially if we have more than one.

How do you feel about both? I would prefer private school, but again, we probably can't afford it, but we will see when that time comes.

What subjects do you feel are the most important? Math, Science, English, History... the core subjects of course. I also think it should be required to learn a 2nd language.

What education tools do you use at home to start educating your little one? (flash cards, work books, DVDS, computer websites, ETC) DVDs, computer websites, flash cards... We work on a little bit of the three, and I'll introduce more as she gets older.

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I have considered homeschooling but we plan on sending the kids to private school. I feel that all 3 education choices are excellent and each choice works differently for everyone. My mom sent us to private school but my brother asked to be switched to public and preferred public. I think all subjects are important and I hope for my kids to be bilingual. I think reading is very important as well. My kids love flash cards and work books. I try to incorporate as much learning as possible into our everyday.

IloveBilly
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Yes I am going to send my son to preschool when he is old enough! He is only 2 right now! I didnt send my oldest 2. I should have though to help them prepare for kindergarten and on up! Kindergarten is not what it use to be when I was in school! We just learned to tie our shoes and manners and we danced to silly songs! Nowadays, they learn math, spelling, how to read, science and all sorts of things!! So yes definitely preschool for my little one! NO I dont homeschool!! I feel that homeschool will just shield my children from the real world! I want them to know what its like to make friends and also to know what its like when someone isnt your friend!!! I want them to know what prom is and high school graduation!! My youngest brother is homeschooled and he is miserable!!I send my children to public school! I cant afford private school! I dont really have an opinion on it cause I have never known what it is like! But public school does just fine for my kids!!!I feel that all subjects are important!! Children need all the education they can get for their future!!! All subjects are equally important to me!!! and yes even art and music and P.E. (gym).  Art and music help a child express themselves and PE (gym class) keeps them active and healthy!!! As far as using flash cards and stuff, Im going to start real soon with my 2 year old!!! Right now I just say something and have him repeat it!!! At this point we do fingerpainting and chalk drawing on the sidewalks and coloring because I want a child to have fun and learn to explore what their imagination holds!!! But I definitely need to get started on working with him on other areas too!!! well I hope I have answered all of your questions!!!!

babygomez
by April on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Education

Will you send baby to preschool? If you have older children did you? Her daddy & i are undecided.

How do you feel about homeschooling? I think it's great, i'd love to do it but i don't think it will happen.

Do you send your children to public or private? We hope to send her to private or a school that has smaller ratios in the classroom like a charter school.

How do you feel about both? If we have to send her to either one, it'd be fine with us, but would much rather put her in private or a school with smaller ratios in the classroom like a charter school.

What subjects do you feel are the most important? All

What education tools do you use at home to start educating your little one? (flash cards, work books, DVDS, computer websites, ETC) So far- Books, Flashcards, educational childrens television shows, but i'm #1 of course!:]

MrsApple
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Will you send baby to preschool? Yes,Helena starts preschool in August,just a little over a month before turning 4

Do you homeschool? We've "schooled" in a way,if that counts,lol.We won't be homeschooling her though,once she is of school age..it's just not for us.

How do you feel about homeschooling? I was homeschooled in middle school so I'm pretty pro-homeschooling...if it's for you and your child.It's not for us so we won't be doing it with Helena

Do you send your children to public or private? She'll for sure be in private preschool,pre-k,and kindergarten.If we're still in this area when she starts elementary school we'll do private school but hopefully we'll be in an area with a better public school system.

What education tools do you use at home to start educating your little one? (flash cards, work books, DVDS, computer websites, ETC) We've used a little of everything so far,and will continue using work books,websites,ect. even after she's in school.

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:00 PM

BUMP!

mommyof2grls06
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Education

Will you send baby to preschool? If you have older children did you? My oldest goes to preschool for her speech therapy. My other 2 will not go to any sort of public school at all.

Do you homeschool? We will be home schooling starting after this next school year when my oldest is 5. My 2 year old has her "school" books that we work on most everyday.

How do you feel about homeschooling? I feel I can give my child a much better education at home than the public school system can give them. They won't have to learn that everything is OK.

Do you send your children to public or private? neither, they will be home schooled.

How do you feel about both? If I had to choose, I would send our kids to a private Christian school.

What subjects do you feel are the most important? The basics, reading, writing, math, science and history.

What education tools do you use at home to start educating your little one? (flash cards, work books, DVDS, computer websites, ETC) I have a ton of educational books and flash cards. My mom also home schools, so I get everything my younger siblings are done with.

A proud Christian, Republican, Breastfeeding, Attachment parenting, Natural, Drug free Childbirthing, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing, ANTI- CRY IT OUT, Anti-vax, mommy to my 3 beautiful girls and wife to my Marine!

It's a child not a choice.

Women should not feel guilty if they are UNABLE to breastfeed, but they should feel guilty if they are UNWILLING to do so, and they should be intellectually honest enough to know the difference.

LSchwarting
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Will you send baby to preschool? If you have older children did you? Yes, it has too many benefits to not to do so.

Do you homeschool? I won't- I think kids need the social benefits of being around peers early on.

How do you feel about homeschooling? I think there are advantages and disadvantages and I will not put down anyone else's discission. I have met (and seen on TV) lots of home schooled kids who lack major social skills and later in life have little independence and self-reliance as young adults.

Do you send your children to public or private? Likely public, but if we financially could at that point, I would like a Lutheran private school.

How do you feel about both? Private schools largely cannot accommodate students with disabilties.

What subjects do you feel are the most important? English, foreign language, all of them really!

What education tools do you use at home to start educating your little one? (flash cards, work books, DVDS, computer websites, ETC). I will likely use educational computer and video games and books.

hunterskysmom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:28 PM
my older son went to pre-k and i plan on letting my baby girl go also no i dont home school I feel if u can home school your children go for it Public math and english We use work books
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)