Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child spacing and age gaps

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:43 PM
  • 7 Replies

I currently have one child. A 9 month old little boy.

We are thinking about TTC very soon. If we started now and got preggo they would be 18 months apart.

If we wait til a year then they would be about 21 months apart. I know I know..things can happen so we might not concieve when we want to..but in a world where you got everything you wanted it might happen this way...

So lay it on me ladies who have children this close. How was it for your body and your mind? Pros, cons, love it hate it would you do it again if you could do it all over or space them more.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tangleballlover
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Mine are 11 months apart to the day. It was both easy and hard.

Having them so close together was really hard on my body though. The pregnancy was harder, the postpartum time was harder.

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:40 PM

My first was 22 months old when #2 was born

#2 was 20 months when #3 was born.

I love having them close together but some things are hard about it

I plan on having #4 when #3 is 3 or 4

KaRaBaSsEtT
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I have done this.  There is 17mo between my first and second and also 17 mo  between my 2nd and 3rd.  That makes 3 under the age of 3!  There is 2yr 9mo between my 3rd and 4th

We did plan the first 3 close.  It is hard because during pregnancy you dont get to rest as much, but its good because you have someone else to take care so it takes your mind off of it!  I liked having them close because I was still in "baby" mode so everyday things were easier.  Now that they are older 3,4 and just turned 6, my 3 and 4 yr olds (both girls) are the same size and share clothes!!  For us, the 2.9yr age gap was harder on the kids, Sofie (3) had a hard time with jealousy and fits, she was the baby for the longest.  There wasnt any jealousy when I had the first 3 so close!

In the end its different for everyone.  My sisters are 10 1/2 mo apart and its extremely hard on her, even now that they are both 3. 

torttia
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I only have 1 child now, but he is 16 months and he is getting to be very well behaved and being able to play on his own. I think 18 months is a good age gap. But between 12 and 15 months he was a monster! That might be hard on you while pregnant. Of course every child is different.

yellownes8
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:52 PM

my daughter is almost 11 months and im halfway through my pregnancy. she will be 15 months when her little sister comes. a lot of people with kids that close in age told me it will be tough at first but then it will get much easier and they will be the best of friends! i guess we'll see! this pregnancy has been much harder...ive had nausea the whole time so far and ive been really tired. when i was pregnant with my first daughter i had the easiest pregnancy ever! i was never sick and i had so much energy! my daughter started walking at 9 months so between chasing her around & housework i have been exhausted!

CafeMom Tickers

Schleetle
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:23 PM

My first are twins I love that they have eachother to play with. I got pregnant with DD when they were 6 years old, and they were almost 7 when I had her. I like that they are old enough to help, but we were TTC for 15 months so a little sooner would have been nice too. We haven't had any issues with jealousy form the boys over the baby.

mommyhonu
by Mary on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:04 PM

my boys are 15 (almost 16 yrs old), 11 yrs & 4 months. I know big gap. Sometimes it's a blessing that there is so much space between them and sometimes it's a curse. But my family have a LO when it's best for you & DH.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)