Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cereal in bottle

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:55 PM
  • 14 Replies

what are your thoughts about putting a little cereal in the bottle at night?

if you do it, when did you start and how much do you use?

if you don't do it, what are your reasons?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Here4Tasha
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:59 PM
  •  

Peanut has been getting rice cereal in his bottle since he was 3 weeks old. The doc told us to do this becasue he has really bad reflux problems :( and it was really hard for him to just keep the formula down. 

As of now he gets 4ozs of formula with 3 tablespoons of cereal in every bottle (he eats every 3 hours) and before bed time I give him 6oz with 5 tablespoons of cereal (he sleeps from 9pm til 7am)!!

It has helped him alot with his reflux problem!!  This week we are going to try to feed him bananas mixed with his cereal from a spoon!

tangleballlover
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I think the only reason for cereal in the bottle is reflux, other than that, it should not be introduced at an early age NOR put in a bottle.

SillyMama951
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I didn't.  Its lazy!  It makes your babies sleepy.  And it makes them fat!  Doctors will tell ya to put cereal in a bottle for premature babies that need to get a little weight on them.

NordicAngel
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Quoting SillyMama951:

I didn't.  Its lazy!  It makes your babies sleepy.  And it makes them fat!  Doctors will tell ya to put cereal in a bottle for premature babies that need to get a little weight on them.

DD was 3 weeks early, so not really enough to make much difference, IMO.  My problem is that she'll nurse for an hour at a time (30min each side) and still scream like she's starving.  I feel so bad for her b/c she's rooting around like she's so hungry after eating for an hour.

Here4Tasha
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Well im not lazy I gave it to Peanut becasue the doc told me to becasue he was losing weight and couldnt keep the formula down. 

Also I would have started it even if the doc didnt tell me to becasue he was sooo hungry and I felt so bad for him he was taking almost 5 oz of formula every 2 hours.  His little belly need more.

tangleballlover
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:09 PM

It doesn't do either of those things. Putting cereal in bottles will not make them sleep through the night, it'll just make them more full, which doesn't mean they'll be fat either.

Quoting SillyMama951:

youngmommy2be09
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I put Cereal in my babies bottle since she was a month. She had Severe Reflux. I tried everything to keep formula down. Finally I just switched to Enfamil Spit Up formula, Thats when she finally stopped. She was puking all over the place before I used this formula. I even tried Zantac (RX) that the pedi gave me. That still didnt work.

When I started I would make a 4 oz. bottle then just put about a scoop (formula scoop size) in the bottle, Shake is up, and I would make sure it could come out of the nipple.

I don't do this anymore because the formula has worked wonders for my LO. Plus she doesn't drink a lot of bottles anymore, She's almost 10 months old.

NordicAngel
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Quoting Here4Tasha:

Well im not lazy I gave it to Peanut becasue the doc told me to becasue he was losing weight and couldnt keep the formula down. 

Also I would have started it even if the doc didnt tell me to becasue he was sooo hungry and I felt so bad for him he was taking almost 5 oz of formula every 2 hours.  His little belly need more.

This is what DD is doing.. I don't know how much she gets when nursing, but I supplement with formula after nursing and she'll still drink 2oz of formula after nursing for an hour and she's 3wks old.

Here4Tasha
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I agree!  Peanut slept threw the night since he was born.  With or wothout the cereal.

NordicAngel
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Quoting Here4Tasha:

I agree!  Peanut slept threw the night since he was born.  With or wothout the cereal.

wow! lucky mama! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)