Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Having some issues here.

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:01 PM
  • 13 Replies

Im having an issue with my 3 months old and Im not sure what to do about it. He is breastfed and doesnt use a pacifier. My problem is that after he eats he falls asleep still attached to my breast and will continue to suck, 9 times out of 10 when I go to lay him down he wakes up. I latch him back on and he goes back to sleep, we can repeat this process up to 5 times until he finally is asleep enough not to notice I took him off. Im thinking he is one of those kids that would benefit from a pacifier because he is obviously soothed by the sucking but I cant bring myself to give him one. I tried half assed to give him one last night but praying that he wouldnt take it. I want him to take it but at the same time I dont.

I think I cant handle knowing he is getting comfort from something other than me. Am I crazy? Should I try to give it to him or just continue with our painful sleeping routine? I know its fully up to me be Id still like some words of advice.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
airforcewife603
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Sorry i'm not much help i took DD's paci away at 3 months, she started sucking her thumb instead which isn't much better but i'm sure she'll grow out of it. Here's a bump!

erinsmom1964
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:06 PM

I am not sure by your post why you are against pacifiers.  I never used them for my three grown sons when they where babies because i had some kind of stigma to them BUT I did try to get my DD( now 15 months old) to use them ( she wouldn't) because they are recommended as one of the things that lowers SIDS risk.  along with fan circulating air in babies area, and no blankets or pillows.  Might look that up and maybe it will make you feel better about trying one???

1stxmomNfashstu
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:12 PM

While I was pregnant I swore I wouldnt use pacifiers because I didnt want to just shove something in his mouth at my leisure. We bought them just in case but my son refuses to take his pacifier. He was breastfed for the first 2 months, now I am back in school he is on formula. He did the same kind of thing with the eating and sleeping. How long are you letting him go on each side? I found I just had to let him go til he latched off himself and was passed out.. which would sometimes be over 30 mins on each side. Are you pumping as well? Stay strong. Breastfeeding and sleeping routines are both hard and very frustrating. If you dont introduce him to the pacifier he wont even know what he is missing. I have a thumbsucker/gnawer now. I have realized it is just natural for babies to associate sucking and comfort. No big deal. 

mommyhonu
by Mary on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:14 PM

My oldest 2 boys never used a binky. And my youngest, was like your LO. I did give him a binky, some nights he needs it and others nights he doesn't. He also found his thumb so he can try to sooth himself. He just likes to suck on something after he is done eating, it really just depends on his mood. I know I have such a strange baby, lol. I just go with the flow and follow his lead. If he wants the binky then I give him the binky other nights it's his thumb. Good Luck Mommy!

SHAEDON
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Quoting erinsmom1964:

I am not sure by your post why you are against pacifiers.  I never used them for my three grown sons when they where babies because i had some kind of stigma to them BUT I did try to get my DD( now 15 months old) to use them ( she wouldn't) because they are recommended as one of the things that lowers SIDS risk.  along with fan circulating air in babies area, and no blankets or pillows.  Might look that up and maybe it will make you feel better about trying one???

Im not against pacifiers at all. My oldest son used one. There is just something holding me back from giving him one and Im not sure what that reason is.

Memigen
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:18 PM
There is nothing wrong with giving hima passy. :) they actually say that a passy helps to prevent SIDS. And it isn't as hard as some people say to break all kids from a passy either. :) Good luck mommy!
SHAEDON
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Quoting mommyhonu:

My oldest 2 boys never used a binky. And my youngest, was like your LO. I did give him a binky, some nights he needs it and others nights he doesn't. He also found his thumb so he can try to sooth himself. He just likes to suck on something after he is done eating, it really just depends on his mood. I know I have such a strange baby, lol. I just go with the flow and follow his lead. If he wants the binky then I give him the binky other nights it's his thumb. Good Luck Mommy!

Ive tried sticking his fist in his mouth and half the time he gives me a nasty face like I shoved dirt in his mouth! We will figure it out!

mommyhonu
by Mary on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Quoting SHAEDON:

Quoting mommyhonu:

Ive tried sticking his fist in his mouth and half the time he gives me a nasty face like I shoved dirt in his mouth! We will figure it out!

I did that too and got the same look, lol! Then he found his thumb on his own and I guess he didn't think it was so bad.

TattooedOne
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:33 PM
Give that lil man a noonie! :) Its exhausting being a human pacifier...dd #1 did it to me too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TattooedOne
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:35 PM
I wouldnt recommend helping him find his thumb. You can take a pacifier away, you cant remove their thumbs! I was a thumbsucker & it got me 3 yrs in braces & cost my parents about 5,000 bucks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)