Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Son not reaching towards things

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:20 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hey,

I know I'm probably being a paranoid first time mommy and I'm not freaking out, i'm just starting to get suspicious. My son is 3 1/2 months old. He has reached pretty much every milestone a few weeks or even a month before he has 'supposed' to have reached them. I know I will regret wishing for it once he has, but I'm getting a little worried about his motor skills. He's been 'standing' on our laps for over a month now but he doesn't seem to be reaching out for things. He has a great grasp, for example he will death grip our fingers while we're trying to hold the bottle to feed him, but he's either not trying to reach out for things or is not developing the motor skills to get his hands where he wants to. He can bring his hands to his mouth and will grasp on to burp clothes all the time and bring those to his mouth, but he hasn't really tried to get any toys or anything else around him either. Like I said, I can't quite tell if he's not even trying or he just hasn't managed yet. and arm movements aren't 'towards' anything.

Instead of looking for reassurance that he is going to be fine (as I said, I'm not freaking out, just wanting to better the situation) i'm looking for suggestions to help him better these skills. What do you suggest?

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SeabeesGirl
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Totally normal, DS (now 7 months) didn't start grabbing for things that he wanted until he was about 4 1/2 monnths old.  Now he grabs everything around him, starting to wish he didn't though.

mommyziegler
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:32 PM

he is still a little young to be grabbing for toys and playing with them..if by 5months he doesn't then i would mention it to his dr. My dd didn't reach for toys until she was about 5 months. My ds is almost 3 months old and he will swat at hanging toys but not reach and grab them

seoulmom
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:36 PM

laying him on the floor with toys above him, laying him on tummy (on a boppy even ) with toys in front of him (where he will have to reach), being in a bouncy seat with a toy bar, & having a toy bar or toys hanging from his car seat handle.  but really he is only 3.5 months old & is just getting to the age where he would be reaching out & grabbing toys,  do you have small toys that he can easily grasp (that are slender like rattles & not too heavy?) if you put a toy in his hand will he hold it for even a couple of seconds? (i'm assuming yes since you said he does grab burp cloths) if he is chewing his hands thats a good sign because it means that he is discovering them, the next step is using them.  you will probably notice him looking at his hands (soon if not already) like he is "willing" them to do something.  that means he's getting ready to use them.  but i really wouldn't be worried right, now. 

(also make sure that his vision is okay, does he look at things/make eye contact etc.  not to worry you but vision is linked to using hands, you can reach for what you don't see, so just a *note to self*)

DuckaDucka
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Thank you. Thats what we had figured to try and have been making sure to give him a lot more tummy time with toys in front of him (even though every time he wiggles he moves backwards and thus away from the toys :) ). I think I might go out and look for toys that might be easier to grasp just in case the ones we have are a little difficult. I think you're right, they might be a little thick. I'm not worried about his vision since he will watch my husband and I walking across the room and he responds to us up close and everywhere in between. I appreciate the suggestions and helping to put my thoughts thru another persons logic filter :)

Thanks!

Quoting seoulmom:

laying him on the floor with toys above him, laying him on tummy (on a boppy even ) with toys in front of him (where he will have to reach), being in a bouncy seat with a toy bar, & having a toy bar or toys hanging from his car seat handle.  but really he is only 3.5 months old & is just getting to the age where he would be reaching out & grabbing toys,  do you have small toys that he can easily grasp (that are slender like rattles & not too heavy?) if you put a toy in his hand will he hold it for even a couple of seconds? (i'm assuming yes since you said he does grab burp cloths) if he is chewing his hands thats a good sign because it means that he is discovering them, the next step is using them.  you will probably notice him looking at his hands (soon if not already) like he is "willing" them to do something.  that means he's getting ready to use them.  but i really wouldn't be worried right, now. 

(also make sure that his vision is okay, does he look at things/make eye contact etc.  not to worry you but vision is linked to using hands, you can reach for what you don't see, so just a *note to self*)

lovemy2boys39
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:22 PM

All babies are different. All babies develop at different rates.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Honeybun09
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:22 PM

I agree with this. It's hard to remember this when you start to worry about their milestones but try to keep this in mind. :)

Quoting lovemy2boys39:

All babies are different. All babies develop at different rates.

ndirishgirl82
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:25 PM

he is still pretty young. my son did not start reaching for things until he was about 4 1/2 months old or so.  they are usually just kind of "batting" at toys when they are that young.  my baby just started actually grabbing toys now.  he will get there, just give him time.

marywilliams
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:06 AM

I don't remember Caroline really grabbing for things.  She was more interested in trying to move - roll, crawl, walk, etc.

Just keep putting things within his reach, give him time with the toys that have things hang down he can reach for, etc.  It'll happen, just be patient and don't try to force it.

babygomez
by April on Aug. 8, 2010 at 1:11 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)