Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for SAHMs

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:05 PM
  • 17 Replies

What do you do to keep your kids busy all day? And what do you do to keep yourself sane all day?

I have not been a SAHM in a long time and I didn't really like it all that much when I was one (lack of money, always stuck at home, etc.) but when our 3rd  baby is born in November there is not really a way for me to return back to work because of daycare costs. So by that time my son will be almost 4, my daughter will be just barely a year old and I will have a newborn. My husband works 10 hour days but is usually gone 11, so it will pretty much just be me and the kids all day long. I am hoping my son will still get to go to preschool 3 days a week but I am not sure since my mom would be the one paying for it. When I stayed home with my son when he was little I was so stir crazy because we only had one vehicle and my husband took it to work and we had no family or friends where we lived so I was just stuck at home all day long. Luckily we will be getting a 2nd vehicle when ours is paid off in February so at least I can go places with the kids, but how do I keep 3 kids entertained all day by myself? I need a break from my kids, I am just not the kind of person who can spend 24/7 with them. I just don't want to get overwhelmed and frustrated all the time. I live in Colorado so it snows a lot in the winter which really limits our options for playing outside. I am just trying to get some feedback from moms who already stay home with one or multiple kids.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TotallyWarped
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I keep games and snacks readily available for any given moment. And I stay sane by taking times when he's napping to do things, little things like painting my toenails, for me.

Click Here September 2010 Babies Mod

Honeybun09
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:10 PM

BUMP!

Mommy2BeAt15
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:16 PM
I have one that 2, he is a boy. I live in the south so we do outside a lot and I make him have tv time even when he doesn't want to take a nap I still make him lay down and watch tv so I can have time to myself. Make then sit down or lay down somewhere for about an hour to have just for u. It helps a lot. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trish2tew
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:23 PM

If the weather is decent, we try to spend at least an hour or two outside. DD#1 can draw or finger paint. We read books or go swimming if the pool is open. Sometimes, we will go to the playground with the baby swings so DD#2 can swing. Unfortunately, we end up watching alot of tv, but that is going to change when we get rid of cable. 

tangleballlover
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:23 PM

BUMP!

marywilliams
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:03 AM

I joined a local Mom's Club.  Saved my sanity.  We all get together twice a week for playdates, outings, etc.  The kids burn off energy and we get adult conversations!  I haven't made it to many activities lately because we've had a lot of company.  It is nice to have some other moms that can help out when you need help, to talk to or just feel less alone.

new_mom_in_2010
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:07 AM

BUMP!

My2babiesmom
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Do you have any moms groups close by?  I have a two year old and a 10 month old, and I know what it feels like to go stir crazy.  Try to find some time to do things just for you, even if you have to hide in the bathroom for a few minutes.  :)

tyrelsmom
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I don't find I need to entertain them much. They take care of entertaining each other most of the time.   I make sure we all go out at least a couple of days a week, so I don't get too stir crazy.  I found being a SAHM hardest (most boring) when my oldest was a baby.    With three, it's way more fun (although more tiring).  I've been a SAHM for over 5 years now.

kelza
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 3:06 PM
I rotate my son's toys so he doesn't get bored easily. During the warmer months we go for walks and play outside.

I love being home with but son and have a group of friends that are SHAMs. We get together and let the kids play frequently. It's a good way for the kids to have a change of pace while the adults can talk about grown up things!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)