Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does it matter to strangers that my daughter has a pacifier?!

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:36 AM
  • 11 Replies

Ugh!  Ok, this is a vent because it just bugs me.

Caroline will be two in November.  She's had a lot of changes this year between her half-sister's visitation schedule changing, getting a new baby brother and losing a pet (my dog).  I just don't think she needs to be forced to give up a pacifier yet.

Anyway, back on to my vent.  I was at the grocery store picking up a few things and the cashier said something about her pacifier.  Then the guy bagging the groceries said that she was too old for a pacifier and he "made" his grandkids give theirs up at a year.  I think that was kind of mean of him and not his place, but they aren't my kids.  Why does it matter that Caroline has a pacifier?  She's not in kindergarten for goodness sake.

I just don't like it when a stranger thinks they can parent my child better than I can.  I think Caroline has grown into a terrific toddler and does wonderful on so many levels.  I don't see that a pacifier is a big deal right now.

Ok, vent over.  Thanks!

Do you have 2 kids under 2 years old? Join my group to share, learn and vent. www.cafemom.com/group/2undertwo

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:20 AM

I am constantly on guard against paci comments. DS will be 3 tomorrow and still has one. We had planned to take it away when he turned 2, but he got a feeding tube then and his doctors, ST and PT have all recommended that he keep using it if he wants to. I have no problem with it as it is his only "comfort" item and after all he's been through a paci is really the least of my worries! Here and there he asks for it when we're in public and that's when I'm worried about comments. I've gotten ONE though, and I just told the person to mind their business. I was already pretty annoyed so that person got me at the wrong time. ;-)

peaches_04
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:23 AM

my dd is only 2 months and ive already gotten so much crap about the pacifer!  i just tell ppl shes either gonna suck on her thumb or the pacifire and i can take the paci away eventually but cant take away the thumb

zoiezmom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Quoting peaches_04:

my dd is only 2 months and ive already gotten so much crap about the pacifer!  i just tell ppl shes either gonna suck on her thumb or the pacifire and i can take the paci away eventually but cant take away the thumb

I tell ppl the same

velvetnbrielle
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:31 AM

I was on a bottle until I was 6 (YES 6) and in diapers until I was 5 (Yes 5). As a first time mom soon, I dont know what mistakes I will make and I dont care what people think. As long as my child is perfect for me, she can have a paci, wear diapers or whatever and people can bash me all they want but unless they are putting food on my table or putting money in my hand (and sometimes not even then), then they have nothing to say about how I raise my little girl!

asil
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:43 AM

my girls... let see oldest turned 3 in june, the youngest will be 2 in october... JUST (and i mean just) gave theirs up... about 2 months ago or so... it was after my oldest turned 3.

i got looks and comments all the time... and while i agreed that they (especially my oldest) could do without them, i agree... no one could tell that my 3 year old had been through 4 hip surgeries, numerous dr appointments (between her ped, cardiologist and orthopedic drs)... not to mention a move 2 states away from me while i was preggers, her new lil sis, then a move to a new house... etc.

so ... while they give you looks, know that when YOU and your LIL LADY are ready to give them up ... is when it's the right time.

i waited... it took 2 days for my girls to stop asking for them or looking for them... they found a nuk (that had fallen under one of their twin beds) and instead of putting it into a mouth (which i thought they would do) they played with their baby doll with it... after only a WEEK of being nuk free!

i wouldn't worry... they don't know what you or baby or toddler have been through...

and well, i was fine with them having a nuk... but K3 starts this fall and there are no nuks allowed! ha!

1st.time.mom336
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:01 AM

I can totally see where you are coming from no one can tell you how to raise your children. That is one of the things that really bothers me. But personally my baby doesn't like the pacifier sometimes I wish he would take it, instead he has made my boobs his pacifier. And sometimes this is not such a good thing because it is right after he eats that he wants it back just to fall asleep with it in his mouth. But hey don't let other peoples coments get to you your the mom you know what is best for your baby not them.

chrissy8907
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:05 AM
I know what you mean my dd is 2 and still uses the nubby sippy cup and everyone tells me stuff saying it just like the bottle I just say I want to see you try and take it away. It for sure her comfort item. Don't worry it's your children so don't let anyone else bother you :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AshleyMSpence17
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:09 AM

yea my son is only two months old and i get so much crap for giving him a paci, its a comfront for him and honestly i rather him suck on his paci then his hands.. so who cares what everyone thinks sounds to me like this lil girl has been threw alot and needs something to comfert her... now after she gets into school maybe then take it away but i see nothing wrong with her having it.

peaches_04
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:31 AM

Proud Paci mommy...lets see some pics ladies

tickled_pink09
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:33 AM

People need to mind their own business. I don't see why some people feel the need to say everything they are thinking...

I'm sorry about the loss of a pet(((hugs)))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)