Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth control after baby

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:15 PM
  • 21 Replies

Ok.. So I had my son 8 weeks ago and am breastfeeding, What type of birthcontrol did you use after you had your baby and what did you think of your choice? Im considering Mirena, but am nervouse about having an IUD. Depo isnt an option for me, been there done that. I need to figure out what Im going to do soon, so I'd really like everyone's experiences.

*edit* I was on Depo for 3 years with no side effects, until I quit taking it, I became very mentally unstable, very moody/bitchy

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YzmaRocks
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:16 PM

We are currently using Natural Family Planning. My baby turns 7 months tomorrow.

iwanabemomie
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:18 PM
I was told while BF the best BC to use is the mini pill
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyhonu
by Mary on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:18 PM

I was on Depo for almost a total of 9 yrs. I developed a cist on my left ovary, so I don't blame you for not wanting the Depo. After my 3rd child was born I had my tubes tied. So I'm really no help. But here's a bump for you. Hope that you find something that works out for you. 

GmansMomy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Ive been on Depo for almost 3 years now. I love it!

mommybug77
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:20 PM

I will use the mini pill again. I was on it for 39 months until we decided it was time to TTC again

momofnate0707
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:26 PM

idid depo but gained 50lbs while on it. i am thinking about an iud as well. i don't wanna do bc pills bc i missed a pill and that is how i got preg with DD. i think that i am setting myself up for failure in remembering to take them and deal with a 3yo and 1mo.

Artistachica
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Mirena!!!

Since I got it, NO PERIODS!..and it lasts 5 yrs. =)

Schleetle
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I took the mini pill while BFing.

MommaBug397
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:15 PM

I am on Depo,and I love it.  I can't have estrogen even if I wasn't BFing so the only pill I can have is the mini pill, but I got pregnant while taking it pretty darn close to perfectly so I don't want to do that again. IUD's kinda scare me too plus I want to have another baby soon and don't want the hassle of getting it out when I decide I'm ready to TTC. So I don't really know what to tell ya. Good Luck!

1wildchild
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:35 PM

I got Mirena because I was breastfeeding exclusively so I couldnt do the pill unles I did the mini-pill, but I am a bad pill-taker anyway so I opted out of that. Now that I've had my Mirena for 1 yr and 7 months I'm not liking it so much, in fact I'm getting it out October 4th. I haven't had any major problems with it but I get migraines quite frequently now and I never did before getting the Mirena. I don't like not having a period (call me crazy but I prefer to have one on time every month that way I know I'm not pregnant), I'm always bloated and get random cramping. Some women have no problems with the Mirena, some have more issues with it than I have. It's a decision only YOU can make.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)