Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

? For those Who Breastfed and Introduced the Sippy Cup

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:42 AM
  • 5 Replies

When my son was 6 months, we introduced the sippy cup. The only one he would take was the Nuk orthodontic He did really well with them and he was also breastfed. He got a sippy cup once a day with extremely diluted juice in it. He had already started cereal a few weeks prior. He continued to bf til 8 1/2 months and I have realized it's my fault he stopped when he did. See, I would nurse him, then an hour later give him food. I do plan on doing things differently with my daughter. I plan on nursing and then giving food immediately after, so she fills up more on the milk than the food and hopefully, I can nurse her til she's a year old.

My question is, for those of you who introduced the sippy, when did you do it and did it cause problems with nursing? And what do you put in it? My daughter takes a bottle,  but "maybe" once a week, and she takes the Nuk Ortho bottles that look just like the sippys but with diff nipples.  My son got at least 2 bottles a day (pumped of course).  I just want her to be prepared and ready for a sippy by the time shes a year old. My son was completely off the bottle/breast by 9 months.

I am crucified with Christ, therefore I no longer live. Jesus Christ now lives in me! I am a 100% pro-life, wife,  Christian, vaccinatin, non co-sleepin, breastfeedin, CIO method usin,  schedule stickin to, as Green as I can get, SAHM of 2.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mommyof2grls06
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:12 AM

We introduce solids and sippies around 9-11 months. I just give the baby a sippy to play with and they will generally turn it over and over and then throw it. I don't push them drinking out of one at all since they get more liquid from me than they can get out of the cup. My oldest was formula fed and on a sippy and solids sooner than my last 2, she was about 6 months. DD2 was on a sippy at about 9 months and solids shortly after. I only do one solid meal a day since breastfed babies don't need them and they are purely for practice. When they hit a year I start them on a bit more food until they are  up to 3 meals and 2 snacks by about 18 months and still nursing on demand until they self wean. DD3 didn't start solids and a sippy until 11 months, since she wasn't ready before that. She is 14 months now and has usually breakfast, a snack and dinner. She nurses the rest of the day.

A proud Christian, Republican. Supporter of the deportation of ALL illegal immigrants and their anchor babies, Breastfeeding, Attachment parenting, Natural, Drug free Child Birthing, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing, ANTI- CRY IT OUT, mommy to my 3 girls and one on the way and wife to my Marine!

Abortion? What part of "Thou shalt NOT kill" don't you understand?

tangleballlover
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:25 AM

I would put breastmilk in it. I know at that point, my DD wasn't breastfeeding anymore and we had switched her to formula and everything I've read about introducing sippies is to put formula or expressed breastmilk in them. My DS switched around 6 months and my DD didn't take a sippy until she was 13 months old.

I don't know about the sippy affecting the breastfeeding part though :( But I know there are plenty of bf moms that will have answers for you :) I just never made it that far with my DD.

Hisservent
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:34 AM

see I've heard the opposite. I've heard not to put bm in it because you don't want them favoring the cup over the breast. I can't say she favors the bottle over the breast cause she'll take either. Plus, she really only gets 1 bottle a week and that's just so I can give her a vitamin or if I am out (usually the nights I go grocery shopping, I have hubs give her a bottle)

Quoting tangleballlover:

I would put breastmilk in it. I know at that point, my DD wasn't breastfeeding anymore and we had switched her to formula and everything I've read about introducing sippies is to put formula or expressed breastmilk in them. My DS switched around 6 months and my DD didn't take a sippy until she was 13 months old.

I don't know about the sippy affecting the breastfeeding part though :( But I know there are plenty of bf moms that will have answers for you :) I just never made it that far with my DD.

I am crucified with Christ, therefore I no longer live. Jesus Christ now lives in me! I am a 100% pro-life, wife,  Christian, vaccinatin, non co-sleepin, breastfeedin, CIO method usin,  schedule stickin to, as Green as I can get, SAHM of 2.

mommy2xp
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:42 AM
I give only water in a sippy and give solids at mealtime then nurse after. That's how my dd likes it. She still nurses plenty to survive on just that. I don't feed her I give her food that she can give herself. She's 10 months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tangleballlover
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I don't think a sippy or two a day will really affect nursing. I know a lot of moms who bottle feed their child while they are at work, but nurse on demand when they are home. Especially if a child has been nursing for a while, I don't think a bottle should affect them too much. I mean, of course, it definitely depends on the child.

Quoting Hisservent:

see I've heard the opposite. I've heard not to put bm in it because you don't want them favoring the cup over the breast. I can't say she favors the bottle over the breast cause she'll take either. Plus, she really only gets 1 bottle a week and that's just so I can give her a vitamin or if I am out (usually the nights I go grocery shopping, I have hubs give her a bottle)

Quoting tangleballlover:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)