• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

buying your first house?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:43 PM
  • 8 Replies

me and df want to buy our first house ASAP!!!

what are some things we need to do/know/etc?

anything will be helpful :)

I am a 22 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, and handsome little man, Bryant Allyn (sucessful VBAC). Loving fiance to Lee. Cloth diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, NON-CIO, Non-Circumcising, Vaxing mommy turned to Select-VAXing!

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
nikilax
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:53 PM

look around to see if there's any special loan programs/classes you can attend

check your credit reports to make sure your scores are up to par

Make sure all of your bank accounts are in order (most places will want at least 6 months worth of statements)

Decide where/what region you want to live in

Visit open houses to get an idea of what you do and don't want in a house

**** When you do find a house, make sure you get an inspection (preferably someone with good references) *******

mommy2xp
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:54 PM
Def have an inspection done and don't be scared to ask the seller to fix some things. We just bought our first house and the owners put in the safety plugs by all the sinks. Know what you can afford and what you just can't. We stretched ours just a tiny bit (bout 5,000) but we got a house we can live in forever and doesn't need a lot of work. If you aren't scared to do some stuff you can get one that does need work but add up what it will cost you to do it. Make a list of things you just have to have and things you'd like to have but could do without or add yourself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schleetle
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:06 PM

We bought our 1st house 3 years ago, and now are about $90k down in value on it - it just keeps going down. So the best advice I would give is just make sure you are buying somewhere you REALLY love the area, and are able to be there for a decent amount of time. We have no choice, but to sell in this crappy economy...Okay I don't even want to think anymore about our house. lol I bet you can find some great deals right now.

lovemy2boys39
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:08 PM

The PPs gave some very good advice. Good luck! It could take a while to find a house. It can be very stressful. Don't get to stressed. Take it one house at a time. Don't settle.

K.a.C.87
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:09 PM

yea both me and df are very picky! i think its going to take us a while! Lol

Quoting lovemy2boys39:

The PPs gave some very good advice. Good luck! It could take a while to find a house. It can be very stressful. Don't get to stressed. Take it one house at a time. Don't settle.

I am a 22 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, and handsome little man, Bryant Allyn (sucessful VBAC). Loving fiance to Lee. Cloth diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, NON-CIO, Non-Circumcising, Vaxing mommy turned to Select-VAXing!

mommyhonu
by Mary on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:32 PM

happy house hunting!

mommy2xp
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:52 PM
Def take your time! We looked at several houses and was getting discouraged and decided to wait a lol bit. Then the next day I drove by the one we bought and I had to see it even if we couldn't afford it. Turns out we could. We weren't expecting it to be in our price range. I looked online a lot

Quoting K.a.C.87:

yea both me and df are very picky! i think its going to take us a while! Lol

Quoting lovemy2boys39:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RodeoGirlUSA1
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Still havent bought our first yet...but got this from a friend. Don't just settle, make sure you love it. I realize you cant go buy your dream home, but she just "settled" cause it was a good deal. She is depressed now because they are in a home they hate, and stuck there for quite a while. (upside down thanks to the economy)

Also, just because the loan company says you can afford X amount of monthly payments doesnt mean you want to. Make sure you still have money left over to save (& play) or else you might be regretting it down the road.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)