• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my daughter is 2 1/2 months can i start giving baby food

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:43 PM
  • 36 Replies
i wanted to start giving my daughter who is 2 1/2 months home made baby foos such as bananas with breats milk. the breast milk is not enough and she is always hungry! any advice?
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Schleetle
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:46 PM

She is probably going through a growth spurt, and trying to increase your supply naturally by eating all the time. If it's been a constant thing it also could be her mistaking gas pains for hunger pains. 2 1/2 months is too young for solids unless there is a medical reason recommended by your pediatrician. Are you a member of the breastfeeding moms group? They have a lot of good advice about reasons why your baby may be acting hungry more often, kellymom.com is also a good resource you can look up information on giving solids there too.

mommyhonu
by Mary on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:46 PM

in my opinion it's a lil early. sounds like your LO is going thru a growth spurt and is expected to be always hungry in the beginning especially when breastfeeding. have you spoke to your pedi about it?

Bren07
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:47 PM

BM is all she needs until 4-6months..she is not ready for solids till 4-6months either..right now she is probably at the age for a growth spurt. just keep nursing on demand and let her b at the breast as much as she wants..count diapers, 6-8 per day (24hr time frame) means she is getting enough and is fine..

When should I introduce solid food to my baby?

You can introduce solids any time between 4 and 6 months if your baby is ready. Until then, breast milk or formula provides all the calories and nourishment your baby needs and can handle. His digestive system simply isn't ready for solids until he nears his half-birthday. 

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that babies be breastfed exclusively for at least six months — though parents will attest that some babies are eager and ready to eat solids earlier.
http://www.babycenter.com/0_introducing-solid-foods_113.bc

Have questions about BF? Need advice or support? Join us in the BF group!

Kaydence2010
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:47 PM
Don't give anything but breastmilk. Your babies little tummy can't handle it. Just keep nursing. All the time if you have to. Probably just a growth spurt
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MedicturnedMama
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Most doctors do not recommend giving babies food that early. Their little systems are not ready for that yet. She is probably in a growth spurt, and will likely settle down in a few weeks. I know it is hard, but just keep nursing her. You will produce enough to feed her, It just might be a rough few days. Good Luck and Hang in There!!!

ohmommamia
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:48 PM
If u are gonna try anything I would say single grain cereal but I think she's too young foe other baby food. It could hurt her tummy. Good luck to u!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ffirsttimemommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:48 PM
Baby food should not be given before 5 months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bren07
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:50 PM

she is even too young for rice cereal..any solids, rice cereal, baby food, table food her tummy is not ready for them yet...

Quoting ohmommamia:

If u are gonna try anything I would say single grain cereal but I think she's too young foe other baby food. It could hurt her tummy. Good luck to u!

Have questions about BF? Need advice or support? Join us in the BF group!

MissLi
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:50 PM

its recommended to wait til 6 mo and veggies when you do, I think she's going thru a spurt. Good luck

SoniaL
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:51 PM

This exactly!  NO solids at 2 1/2 months.  Count diapers to know if she is getting enough. 6-8 diapers means she is getting enough breastmilk.   I completely agree to join the breastfeeding moms group and also visit kellymom.com

Quoting Schleetle:

She is probably going through a growth spurt, and trying to increase your supply naturally by eating all the time. If it's been a constant thing it also could be her mistaking gas pains for hunger pains. 2 1/2 months is too young for solids unless there is a medical reason recommended by your pediatrician. Are you a member of the breastfeeding moms group? They have a lot of good advice about reasons why your baby may be acting hungry more often, kellymom.com is also a good resource you can look up information on giving solids there too.

http://leangreenmommy.wordpress.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)