Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

6 month old overnight visitation?

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2010 at 11:58 PM
  • 23 Replies

The "father" says that he gets every other weekend overnights now that DS is 6 months old, but he is still nursing. Is this true?? We're in Michigan. I don't think it sounds right!

by on Nov. 2, 2010 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hannamanmommy
by on Nov. 2, 2010 at 11:59 PM

I highly doubt it... especially since you are BFing. In TN, I think it is 2 before overnight visitation. 

mandyjh
by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 12:01 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoraDun
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2010 at 12:01 AM

I would be darned....I would die before I would let anyone take my child over night at that age...Daddy or not!

marywilliams
by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 12:01 AM

It is whatever is in the custody agreement filed with the court.  If there is no agreement, then you should file for sole custody and set up visitation arrangements.  Most people confuse child support and visitation, they are two separate issues.  Contact an attorney to get things straightened out now.  The longer you wait, the worse it gets.... just ask my husband!

proudmommy690
by Christa on Nov. 3, 2010 at 12:03 AM
In florida they start getting over night visitation from the time its the fathers weekend even at a week or so old!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DreamEscapex00
by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 7:29 PM

well, in michigan i believe the mother automatically gets sole custody

Honeybun09
by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 7:30 PM

BUMP!

MiaScotts
by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I dont think that sounds right...excpecially since your son is still breat feeding.. its just too soon to let your baby be away from you for that long

jessihernandez
by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 7:35 PM

That can't be right. There is no way I would let DD spend the night with ANYONE without me. I don't care who it is. She is almost 7mo and still wakes up at least 3-4 times at night to nurse. I think it should be closer to 1yr of age if you are BFing. I'd get a lawyer and fight that one!

smeep
by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Chances are NO, he will not get overnight visits. When I went in for child support with DS's biodad, they also did custody. He didn't want anything (and nearly 5 years later still hasn't met his son) but they gave him blanket custody. I figured he wouldn't ever see him, but to be safe, I had them put no overnights because we were nursing. They put it in as no overnights for the first 12 months. IF he had started coming around and actually seeing his son, I would have gone to court to get the no overnights extended as DS wasn't ANYWHERE near ready to be without me overnight (let alone a whole weekend!) until at least 18 months.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/bf-law.html#Family

www.mothering.com/discussions also has a bunch of threads in the Lactivism forum, and I highly suggest you join MDC and post in the Single Parenting forum (under "Life as a Parent") and ask for advice there. Lots of very well educated ladies who have BTDT. They can give you some really good advice.

- Emy

AP, full-term breastfeeding, natural water birthing (freestanding birth center), non-vaccinating, cosleeping, crunchy, single mama to Ezra, Thames (reincarnated on 19th April 2008 at 6.5 weeks in the womb) and a baby on the way! Breastfeeding educator for four years, working on my CLE and hoping to one day become an IBCLC! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)