Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby cereal

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:15 PM
  • 13 Replies

ok. simple question.  please no drama - i'll delete the post if need be

why is baby cereal empty calories?

CafeMom Tickers

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rileysmommy229
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:38 PM

i have always wondered why people said that..it says right on the box all the nutrients it has in it...esp. if it has breastmilk added to it...idk neither one of kids liked it all!

Ambereno144
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM
Bump. I would like to know as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiznShelk
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I went and looked right at the box the first time I heard this and it had tons of vitamins and minerals so I have no idea.

jessica1219
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM

I don't give it to my children.

ETA- I never got to finish my post. (Nursey time!) I think it's flakey crap and I'd rather give my baby ground oats.

You should check this link out:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/first-foods.html

And.... This is interesting:

Two teams of researchers from Denver and Germany showed that infants who were fed fiber or rice cereal prior to 4 months of age were 5 times more likely to develop damage to their pancreas and eventual diabetes, compared to infants who were introduced between 4 and 6 months. The theory behind this affect is that the infants' immune system overreacts to proteins in the cereals, and this immune reaction attacks the pancreas (just as in Diabetes).

<3 Jess

SAHM to Caleb & Baby Ellie

mamalinzie
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Its a refined white carb. It has all of those nutritents added to it because the processing took away any nutrients it naturally had. They arent going to be easily absorbed as the nutrients from an avacado, banana, or sweet potato. 

If your baby is exclusively breastfed, the iron fortified foods inhibits your babies iron absorption. There is a substance in breastmilk called lactoferran. The lactoferran, once in the babies stomach, binds to any iron present and brings straight into the blood stream, bypassing the intestines. Fortified iron overwhelms the lactoferran and it cant do its job. Now the iron must pass through the intestines and much of it gets lost.

SoniaL
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:05 PM

From Kellymom.com:

"infants need lots of protein and cereal has a low protein-calorie ratio (even lower when mixed with water or fruit)."

Also, all of those vitamins are fortified into the cereal which is not nearly as nutritious as foods that naturally contain those vitamins.  Natural sources are better absorbed by the body.

mamalinzie
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Oh and there is a good chance that the vitamins added to the cereal are synthetic, which means that your body isnt going to much of it. Hence the empty calories.

mommyof2grls06
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Everything the two women above me said. It's artificial junk. Your baby can get the same vitamins elsewhere and get more of them that are easier to absorb. 

OutlawMUA
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:37 PM
Agree with the last few posts.

That stuff is completely unnecessary. May as well be cardboard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Honeybun09
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:40 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)