Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Night terrors

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:27 PM
  • 12 Replies
My son will be a year old in less than a month. He was sleeping through the night very well. Once he started teething he would wake up numerous times during the night. There have been nights though that he wakes up screaming and nothing will calm him down not a binky or a bottle or even being cuddled. I have read that night terrors are similar to this. Could he look awake but not really be? Some nights after he's calmed down a bit he wont go back to sleep in his crib the only way he will fall back to sleep is with us. I dont want him in the habit of co sleeping but at two in the morning if it gets him to sleep i allow it. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Or does anyone have suggestions to make things a little easier? Any advice would be great. As i am at a loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beesm17
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:37 PM
Both of my sons have night terrors. They are horriable and scary for parents. They will look like they are awake and will be asleep. They say not to wake them up, but its hard. It does make it worse if you wake them up. My youngest started at 9 months and my youngest at 6 months. They have last up to two hours. The only thing I can tell you is don't wake them up. Rub their back or something that makes them feel better. I have noticed that if they don't get their nap or a good nap in they will have them. Sorry this isn't very helpfully, but I hope they get better. They say they get better as they get older. My youngest doesn't have them as often, but my oldest still has them atleast once a week. Good luck and you might want to talk to your doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ka7x
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:47 PM
Thank you. I pick him up when he screams but probably shouldn't and now that you mention it he doesn't really seem to see us when he is screaming. It only happens once or twice in a month but still scares the poop outta me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mariesmama
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 7:26 AM

mine screamed in her sleep till i started stroking the hair on her forehead my dd did this when she was a newborn. i think  mine wanted to know mommy was still there

SrkStrickland
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 7:36 AM

My DD had night terrors until she was about 3 1/2. It was terrible. She justs screamed and screamed and screamed. Her eyes were wide open like she was awake but she wouldn't talk to me and nothing helped. Then all of a sudden after an hour or more of screaming she would just lay back down like nothing ever happened. At the time I didn't know that is what it was so I would attempt to wake her up and help her everytime, which I believe made it worse. She never remembered doing it the next morning.  I'm sorry you're going through this. Hopefully he grows out of it fast. Here is some more information for you. Hope it helps :)

http://www.ehow.com/how_2057532_handle-toddler-night-terrors.html

http://www.drgreene.com/qa/what-are-night-terrors

shortyali
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2010 at 8:57 AM

This is exactly what my DS is doing.  The only way to calm him down is to bring him into bed with us because he gets up and walks around while having them.  We finally just brought his matress into our room and he sleeps on our floor so that it is easier on DH and I to comfort him.  I am going to check out those links and talk to his DR about it at his 3 year appointment.  Thank you ladies!

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Ka7x
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 9:12 AM
Thank you all so much:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 9:25 AM

My 3 year old DS has night terrors. They are very frightening. I just try to get him "back" to sleep, try not to engage him in conversation, don't ask "what's wrong" over and over again (like the first time lol), etc. He's pretty much out of it when it happens, most likely not even awake so we just try to get him back to sleep. It's awful. Being overtired triggers it, and we limit his TV before bedtime also.

Styna_1
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 9:29 AM

When I was younger and my siblings or I had a nightmare, We always got to finish the night in our parents bed. As far as night terrors go, IDK. DH nefew had something similar, but she just made sure that he had a small light on (other than the night light) like a small lamp.

expectantmom81
by Erin on Dec. 10, 2010 at 9:31 AM

I am not sure but I would definitely try your best to get him to sleep in his room still. Maybe try a night light. The only reason I say that is if you bring him out of his room and into your room he will think that your room is safe and his isn't. Just try to sit with him for a while and keep telling him that he is ok and nothing is gonna happen. Maybe even try walking out of the room for a few minutes to help him forget about the dream but then go back in for his bed. I hope this helps. GL

Ka7x
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 11:53 AM
Thank you so much again ladies! This is all very helpful advice! Y'all are amazing:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)