Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

One Mother’s Perspective: Making Easy, Fun, Healthy Meals for Baby’s First Foods

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:39 PM
  • 3 Replies

New mothers are faced with many decisions when they are trying to buy the best products for their new babies. This includes everything from car seats to strollers, diapers to lotions, cribs to baby monitors, and formula to baby food. When I became a new mother I found myself constantly researching consumer opinions about each and every product that I needed to purchase. When it came time to feed my son, Noah, I simply assumed that jarred food was the way to go. However, both my personal experience and research quickly led me to the conclusion that the BabyCook by Beaba helps mothers make easy, fresh, healthy, and affordable meals for their babies.

At first Noah accepted jarred baby food, enjoying applesauce, and soon after I introduced him to bananas, and sweet potatoes. Feeding time was smooth sailing until Noah met green beans and peas. As soon as I tasted them for myself, I understood why he refused to eat them; I had a flashback to my childhood visits to see my grandfather in the nursing home. The taste and smell of the jarred green vegetables reminded me of the horrific odor of my grandfather’s nursing home, especially at meal time. Also, I was shocked to find how dissimilar the taste of jarred food was to the actual taste of the food itself. As I began to sample each of the foods Noah had tried, I had a few more unpleasant surprises. The vegetables were watery and tasted overcooked; the fruits were bland and much too sugary. This discovery spurred my quest to find an alternative way to feed my son; instead of searching for other brands I would take a shot at making the food myself.

My first attempt at making homemade and nutritious baby food taught me that it is a very messy, complicated, and time consuming process. The number of kitchen items used from start to finish was overwhelming. They list included a pot, a steamer insert, a blender or food processor, a strainer, and a spatula, all of which had to be washed. This initiated my search for an easier and less complicated method for creating fresh and healthy meals for my son. In my research I came across a great alternative, the BabyCook by Beaba. The BabyCook met my criteria for an efficient solution to making my own baby food: the fewest number of steps and preparation, the fewest number of steps in clean up, and clear directions. However, it came with a price of $150.00 which was a stretch for our family budget.

The Williams-Sonoma website provided me with all the information I needed to justify the cost of the BabyCook. The layout of the website was visually appealing with colorful images of the product, a video demonstration of how easy it is to use this compact devise, a product summery of parts included, and eleven slides of related products to purchase as baby grows. Williams-Sonoma describes the Beaba as a “…compact countertop appliance makes it easy to prepare fresh, healthy meals for baby -- from start to finish”(Williams-Sonoma). The HealthCheck Systems website, that rates health and baby products, includes the BabyCook by Beaba, noting that it was the winner of the JPMA Innovation Award in 2008. This award is given by the Juvenile Products Manufactures Association to companies that create innovative, marketable, trend setting, appealing, and useful products (Juvenile Products Manufactures Association). HealthCheck Systems called the BabyCook “a One-of-a-kind patented compact countertop appliance that functions as a steamer blender warmer and defroster to prepare fresh healthy meals for baby” (HealthCheck Systems). There were many negative reviews by consumers, however, even after reading a number of them I was eager to experience this amazing product for myself.

My first attempt at using the BabyCook was easy and stress free with one exception. It was difficult, the first few times, to align all the key parts correctly so that they would properly click into place. Even after reading many reviews about this difficulty, as well as the direction booklet, it took me a few tries to get it right. However, without proper alignment the appliance will not begin functioning. As a beginner I found this feature to be a good one because once the machine began operating, I knew that everything was correctly in place.

As I mastered my technique using the BabyCook, I began to experiment with combining various fruits which resulted in more meals for Noah that were rich in vitamins and antioxidants. Jarred baby food in stores did not offer selections that included strawberries, blueberries, broccoli, and cauliflower. These are now some of Noah’s favorite foods, even though he has moved onto finger foods. The benefit of the BabyCook is that as a child’s diet expands, good nutritional habits are well-formed. An additional benefit is that this product can be used for steaming pasta and rice, and for defrosting foods that have been prepared in advance. Although it is not necessary, I found the Beaba Multiportion Baby Food Freezer Tray’s to be a useful accessory that took a lot of the guesswork out of portion size.

I did have one unfortunate experience when the blade attachment came loose in the middle of pureeing a batch of sweet potatoes. However, no questions were asked by my local Williams-Sonoma store and the exchange of the entire unit was made with ease. My replacement BabyCook has not had any issues and is still running like new. My son, Noah, is now fifteen months old and I am still using the BabyCook to prepare all of his fruits, vegetables, pasta, and rice.

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
spainsblueangel
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 12:42 AM

BUMP!

TTC2Long
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 1:21 AM
I got one from my registry at BrU. I haven't used it yet but will start in the next month or so. I hope it lives up to it's hype. Can't wait to fire it up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 1:22 AM
Easier and IMO better is baby led solids :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)