Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thumb sucking nightmare....Please help...dry cracked bleeding no sleep :(

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 1:54 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hey all,

My daughter is 20months and is a thumb sucker.  Recently (like past 2 days) I have been noticing her thumb getting cracked and dry and starting to bleed.  It is not hot to the touch and there is no signs of infection but she crys when she trys to suck her thumb because it hurts.  He thumb is her comfort device, I know she is almost two and I should think about finding a way to not have her suck her thumb but we have gone through some major changes recently so I dont want to take it away right now.  (Major changes include us moving out of state -out of my moms house and back in with her dad. She last saw her dad for 2 weeks when she was 6 months old. She seams to be very happy about being at his house and spending time with him)

Please keep on topic of her thumb. If you have questions regarding details please ask. Thank you!!!!

by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyziegler
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2011 at 2:17 PM

have you tried putting the pepper thumb stuff on her thumb to get her to stop sucking her thumb?

grapejelly
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 2:18 PM

um... what about showing her the "other" thumb? while you doctor up the injured one?

sillythang87
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2011 at 2:21 PM
hmm not sure what to do about the thumbs condition but id def try to stop the habit soon i sucked my thumb til i was about 13 yeaa i know and sometimes i still wake up bitting my thumb in my sleep. so its a bad habit!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robe739
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 2:24 PM
Awe. Poor little thing! :(

I like the idea of showing her the other thumb. Put a band aid on the "owie" one, so she stops trying to suck it for now.

Otherwise, you could try putting neosporin, or petroleum jelly on it. The taste will make her not want to suck it. But, if she DOES, both are harmless when ingested (in small amounts, of course!)

Later, when you choose to break the habit, my BEST suggestion is to take her to the dentist & ask them to fit her for a "thumb crib". It is easy & simple & sits in the roof of her mouth, which doesn't allow the "suction". KWIM?

Good luck! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenB36
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 2:32 PM

:) She wont suck the right thumb...i tired when she was stuck in hospital for 3 weeks...she had iv in her left arm and could not suck her thumb...she wouldnt suck the right one at all it was the saddest thing ever.

I did put bandaid and tried wrapping it and taping it and all that she picks it off puts thumb in mouth and crys saying owie :(

QueenB36
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Quoting mommyziegler:

have you tried putting the pepper thumb stuff on her thumb to get her to stop sucking her thumb?

I havent done anything about the thumb sucking because i thought it would be fine for her to suck her thumb at nappy time and when she is frusterated.  Now im worried because its causing cracking and bleeding a little.  Its super rough and dry and swollen.  Do you think pepper thumb stuff is safe for broken skin?

pooh2you
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 2:39 PM

try Stopzit or a similar over-the-counter product, suggests Dr. Friman. These pharmacy products are safe for children, but contain bad-tasting ingredients that jolt the child's taste buds that is how my mom got my sister to stop sucking hers it worked great she did hot souce black pepper and polish remover but that stuff helped loads

sillythang87
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2011 at 2:40 PM
they also make stuff im not sure what its called but u can ask the phymacist at cvs or whereever it looks like clear nail polish but it tastes BITTER and its nontoxic its made to stop thumbsucking. ive seen it at walgreens but id ask next time ur out a few licks of that n she might decide its not worth it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robe739
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 2:41 PM
Awe! :( sorry. Maybe find an all natural lotion. One that wouldn't be harmful when ingested. Put lotion on it every 2 hours & see if it helps with the dryness!

Quoting QueenB36:

:) She wont suck the right thumb...i tired when she was stuck in hospital for 3 weeks...she had iv in her left arm and could not suck her thumb...she wouldnt suck the right one at all it was the saddest thing ever.

I did put bandaid and tried wrapping it and taping it and all that she picks it off puts thumb in mouth and crys saying owie :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JesseMeekins
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:41 AM

I have a little girl that is 12 months and is doing the exact same thing and has the same problems. What did you eventually do? Getting her to sleep at night is definitely a problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)