Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Breastfeed my nephew?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2011 at 12:38 AM
  • 28 Replies
Ok so my sister and I had sons three weeks apart. She chose to formula feed, and I chose to breastfeed. Thing is, my nephew has developed acid reflux and has been throwing up/spitting up everything he eats. He's lost so much weight and is always in the ER...... My sister and mom asked me to breastfeed him.... I've never breastfed anyone besides my kids. So would he benefit from MY milk? I don't know.... Do any of you know what's the deal or have any of you done this before?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2011 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsApple
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Yes,he could benefit from your breastmilk.Nursemaids have been around for AGES.If you're not comfortable with putting him to breast though,you could pump milk for him.

Momof3Ts061011
by on Jan. 29, 2011 at 12:40 AM

ya, thats kind of wierd.  but i would be open to it if it were me.  I think breast milk is easier on babies stomachs... i'm not sure though.  All my kids were exclusively breast fed for their first 6 months.

cheesy82082
by Member on Jan. 29, 2011 at 12:42 AM

i havnt done it before, but he will still benefit form your milk.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2011 at 12:42 AM

This

Quoting MrsApple:

Yes,he could benefit from your breastmilk.Nursemaids have been around for AGES.If you're not comfortable with putting him to breast though,you could pump milk for him.

She could also nurse him. Have her look into relactating :)

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to THREE! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

MyDecemberGirls
by on Jan. 29, 2011 at 12:43 AM

I dont know much abt that but i do know that people do donate breast milk to mothers who cannot breast feed their babies and there are alot of people who believe that donor breast milk is better then formula so i would say your breast milk would be just as beneficial to your nephew!

bella.vazquez24
by on Jan. 29, 2011 at 12:48 AM
Thank you guys SO much! She tried breastfeeding but said it was too painful so she stopped. I wouldn't mind pumping or feeding him myself. I hope he can put some weight on, he's so thin and his pediatrician told my sister to feed him cereal, bananas and potatoes (he's 5 months) I'm about to go pump now, with Gods help my nephew will be back to his normal self :) thank you all so much
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schleetle
by on Jan. 29, 2011 at 12:48 AM
I agree with Randi02, and MrsApple. I would probably pump, and give her the milk while she tries to get help getting her own milk in for feeding. Positive benefits for you it will increase your supply as well as help your nephew.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charlibabe
by on Jan. 29, 2011 at 12:49 AM

My aunt breastfed my cousin (her nephew) while he was in the hospital (very preemie) and did it for a couple months. I think if you are comfortable to it...

bella.vazquez24
by on Jan. 29, 2011 at 12:59 AM
Relactating?! Didn't even know that was possible! Ill mention it to her and hope she will decide to do that. Not that I mind doing it, but we live 30 minutes from eachother, and knowing her, she'll expect me to deliver ! Lol either way.... If she doesn't want to, I'm willing to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ATG499
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Quoting MrsApple:

This. As long as you don't have any communicable diseases (not saying you do), it would be a wonderful thing for you to do for your nephew.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)