Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ds has a fever of 102 and slept for 19 hours......(update just got home)

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:00 AM
  • 21 Replies

Ds is almost 9 months old and has had a fever for about a week but it's been low grade..Well he slept from 12:30 yesterday afternoon until 7am this morning! He woke up with a fever of 102. He has a runny nose and has had it since saturday. He's also been screaming nonstop for no reason like he's in pain.It looks like he has a tooth coming in, could that cause all of this? Or do you think it's something more?

so we just got home from the drs and it is yet another ear infection...this boy has had nonstop ear infections since he was 3 weeks old...He is set up for tubes on the 21st but until then he is on a high dose amox. Thanks for the help ladies :)

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

toddler girl                                 in love                               baby boy

Summer Lynne born 4-22-08    Holly and John married 10-28-07    Leo Harry born 5-13-2010

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rHOPEb
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Could be lots of things!  Could be ear infection, a virus (which its going around bad around here), could be a tooth, etc.  Poor thing.  Keep doing tylenol and luke-warm baths.  Keep him comfy as you can.  Do saline nose drops for the runny nose (try not to suction it too much b/c that will irritate it and cause his nose to swell).  I would take him in to see pedi if fever doesn't come down from 102.  He may need antibiotics.  B/c with runny nose it can cause ear infection or upper respiratory infection.  Don't bundle him too much or keep his room too hot.  Also, do a cool mist humdifier in his room for the nose/congestion.  Good luck and God bless!  

jennywhy67
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:05 AM

a high fever is not necessarly somethign to t worry about. but if hes had it for a week and sleeping that much id def call his pedi.

monday my dd (9months) had a fever of 104, i gave her tylenol and rushed her ot er (pedis orders) only to be there for 4 hrs and not see a doc once. her fever broke on its own and we left.

do what you feel is best. have you given tylenol? can u see lil teeth buds?is he extra cranky?

rHOPEb
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:06 AM

OH!  And don't worry about the sleep.....that is the BEST medicine for little ones!!!!!!!!!!!!  That is the best way for their bodies to fight off infections.  If he sleeps, then let him sleep.  My DD does that when she's sick.  I would take her temp and drop tylenol (or motrin) in her while she was still snoozing!  I don't know if yours can take motrin since he's so young tho......

mommyziegler
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:08 AM

i've been giving him motrin because the tylenol does nothing with him and the motrin breaks the fever for a little and then it comes right back. And his gum is swollen and puffy and i can see the tooth on the bottom. And he's very very cranky...I'm waiting for the peds office to open and then i'm calling them

Quoting jennywhy67:

a high fever is not necessarly somethign to t worry about. but if hes had it for a week and sleeping that much id def call his pedi.

monday my dd (9months) had a fever of 104, i gave her tylenol and rushed her ot er (pedis orders) only to be there for 4 hrs and not see a doc once. her fever broke on its own and we left.

do what you feel is best. have you given tylenol? can u see lil teeth buds?is he extra cranky?

toddler girl                                 in love                               baby boy

Summer Lynne born 4-22-08    Holly and John married 10-28-07    Leo Harry born 5-13-2010

mommyziegler
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:10 AM

and that is the exact reason why i did not wake him up lol. I thought it would help him but he seems worse than before :( this poor boy is always sick....You can start motrin at 6 months so i've been giving him motrin and like i said to the PP it helps but only for a little bit and then everything comes right back

Quoting rHOPEb:

OH!  And don't worry about the sleep.....that is the BEST medicine for little ones!!!!!!!!!!!!  That is the best way for their bodies to fight off infections.  If he sleeps, then let him sleep.  My DD does that when she's sick.  I would take her temp and drop tylenol (or motrin) in her while she was still snoozing!  I don't know if yours can take motrin since he's so young tho......

jennywhy67
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:14 AM

do you breastfeed? if so squirt a lil breast milk up his nose (sounds weird but it works) that will really help with congestions

mommyziegler
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:16 AM

ño i had to stop nursing him at 6 months of age and put him on nutramigen :(

Quoting jennywhy67:

do you breastfeed? if so squirt a lil breast milk up his nose (sounds weird but it works) that will really help with congestions

DustyQOTF
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:22 AM

was he premie it is flu season and during this time of year even tho he is teething if he was a premie he might be coming down with a virus that can be dangerous my dd had to be hospitalized when she was  four months due to getting rsv which premies tend to get alot of and she was born at 36 weeks so she was really close to full term so ask them about rsv when you go in its a quick simple test and they will put him on a nebulizer to help with his breathing. You are lucky tho your son will actually cry in pain when he is uncomfortable my dd doesnt.

mariesmama
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:36 AM

take him to the dr

mommyziegler
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:03 AM

he was born at 37 weeks...he gets sick very easliy..in dec he was in the pediatric icu for rsv and pneumonia for about a week. He doesn't have those symptoms though this time..but we are leaving right now for the drs.. i'll update when we get back

Quoting DustyQOTF:

was he premie it is flu season and during this time of year even tho he is teething if he was a premie he might be coming down with a virus that can be dangerous my dd had to be hospitalized when she was  four months due to getting rsv which premies tend to get alot of and she was born at 36 weeks so she was really close to full term so ask them about rsv when you go in its a quick simple test and they will put him on a nebulizer to help with his breathing. You are lucky tho your son will actually cry in pain when he is uncomfortable my dd doesnt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)