Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My baby might have glaucoma =*(

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:54 PM
  • 13 Replies

Ok I really am not sure about how to explain this my son is just over 2 wks old when we were in the hospital they noticed something in his eyes that they thought was cataracts but dilated his eyes and found they weren't but had us follow up with an opthamologist it sucked so bad the dr was really nice but he had to examine his eyes and being 2 wks old he wasn't going to just keep his eyes open so they had to us a metal thing to pry and keep it open.  He cried so hard I had to sit there and hold him tears just streaming down my face.  I hated it.  After the exam was done we found out that the iris (which I guess is suppose to be folded over) in spots it's not and that abnormality can lead to higher pressure in the eye and that can lead to damage of the optic nerve (glaucoma).  I really don't know how to process this I mean he's my baby.  I know an eye issue isn't the worse thing that could happen I mean there's cancer and much worse things but the thought of him going blind and his struggles just devastate me...my sob story over

crying

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MorganTho
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:57 PM
I'm so sorry! My sister has glaucoma but she is in her 50's and medicine has come a long way. Ill keep you and your son in my thoughts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JZB
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Thank you.  I know they sadi you tend to think of older people when you think of glaucoma.  I think the hardest is the exams and he has no idea why

Quoting MorganTho:

I'm so sorry! My sister has glaucoma but she is in her 50's and medicine has come a long way. Ill keep you and your son in my thoughts.

mom_of_one_2010
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:00 PM
:( sorry momma, i cant imaigin how hard that must have been to sit there, ur in my prayers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:01 PM
Oh no...I'm so sorry. I hope everything gets better and hope they can help him. I am so sorry for how they checked him too. That must have been traumatic for both of you...they should have been able to do that in a better way. Did they tell you anything more?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Honeybun09
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Im sorry. :(

JOIN ME IN THE BABIES GROUP!

JZB
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:15 PM

we tried holding the eye open but that didn't work.  We are montitoring his pressure levels and he has an app in 2 wks

Quoting Flaca43:

Oh no...I'm so sorry. I hope everything gets better and hope they can help him. I am so sorry for how they checked him too. That must have been traumatic for both of you...they should have been able to do that in a better way. Did they tell you anything more?

Schleetle
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Aww. I'm sorry you are going through this - even though an eye problem is not the worst it still stinks to see anything like that happening to your baby. My sons were preemies, and I remember their eye exams being horrible. I had to hold them down with the metal things, and the doctor stuck this huge metal stick into his eye to push it over... Oh geez I don't even want to remember, but it was scary so I know how that is. I hope everything turns out to be okay.

lexipooh78
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I am so sorry you are going through this. I really don't know a lot about babies with this issue but my mom is diabetic and has glaucoma. Treatment really has come a long way. I the beginning things did not look good for her because it took a long time for them to figure out what was going on. Now that they know and are treating it it has stopped progressing. Since your little guy is so young, and they caught it so early, with the way medicine is today I am sure that he is going to be just fine. Good luck and try to keep positive.

KaRaBaSsEtT
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:24 PM
I'm so sorrry :( its awful to hear your baby cry like that too. I am 26 and I have to go to the eye doctor every 6m (instead of every year) because I am a glaucoma suspect too. Its not fun but if I get 5 decent tests than they will back off a little, so far I have had 2. I hope you get some answers soon...hugggs...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JZB
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Thank you it is hard because he's not a real crier and he just screamed

Quoting KaRaBaSsEtT:

I'm so sorrry :( its awful to hear your baby cry like that too. I am 26 and I have to go to the eye doctor every 6m (instead of every year) because I am a glaucoma suspect too. Its not fun but if I get 5 decent tests than they will back off a little, so far I have had 2. I hope you get some answers soon...hugggs...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)