Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A tired subject...So tired of rocking the baby

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:36 PM
  • 20 Replies

Baby was born.  11 months passed.  You can fill in the blanks, but here is where we stand now...

We rock the baby to sleep.  We rock her, we rock her.  We are tired of rocking her.  New parent.  None of my friends have babies.  The first baby books I got were Dr. Sears.  Right up my alley!  Love his philosophy.  I was turned off by those that said babies were easily spoiled and manipulative.  I still am, but here I am having resentful thoughts about my girl, after all this "attachment parenting"...I am afraid we missed the opportunity to teach her to fall asleep on her own.  Maybe if when she was littler and couldn't stand up, we could have rubbed her back and dealt with a little protest and she would have quickly learned about sleep, how to fall asleep.  (Damn, why do humans have to learn that?)

But I have the sense that now she can cry for longer and stand in the crib for longer and that she understands our relationship to her more and would be more emotionally affected by a cry it out attempt.  And I just don't believe that I could sit in the next room and listen to her cries become more and more intense until she is gasping and panicked and hours later finally passes out from exhaustion.  I have read No Cry Sleep Solution and Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child.  I understand the importance of sleep, routine, schedule, and putting a baby down awake.  But the No Cry Sleep Solution hasn't really worked for us.  And we are tired of numb hands and sore backs from all the rocking, and the inconsistency- .  It might take 5 minutes for her to fall asleep, it might take 3- 45 minute rock sessions.  She might wake up and we can lay her back down in the crib and rub her back and she falls asleep, or she might cry and cry until we rock her.  She might sleep through the night, she might wake up 5 times.  What to do...what to do.

I guess I am wondering if anyone else did any "sleep training" for a baby  that was....say...10 months or older?  What worked for you?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama_girl07
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Well first of all ciO is not jsut letting your baby cry for hours until they fall asleep. Done right it is very effective. I did it with my youngest around 9 months what we did was put her down to bed awake then when she started to cry was wait 3 mins go in lay her down rub her back for a min and tell her "good night baby its sleeping time I love you" then wait another 3 mins repeat without saying anything, another 3 mins repeat after this 3 min interval i moved to 5 mins for 3 intervals then to 7 mins. She never lasted to the 7 min intervals by the second night she was asleep before the 5 min intervals and by the third night ahe fussed for about 3 or 4 mins and went right to sleep. I did this same routine if she woke up during the night and didnt need anything.

mariesmama
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:07 PM

mines 17 monthes and i still rock her so i'll be sure to try some of the other responses

jessihernandez
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:09 PM

I'm a firm believer that it will happen when they are ready. I know it's difficult, but it will NOT last forever.

mommyof2grls06
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:18 PM

I agree. I still rock my 18 month old to sleep some nights. The past month has gotten easier. I can now lay her down and she rolls over and goes to bed. I've found that I have to put her down as soon as she says night night, otherwise she's going to be up for the next 2-3 hours and only rocking will get her to sleep then. 

Have you tried laying her in her bed and just hushing her and rubbing her back or something after she's good and tired. Or maybe rock her almost to sleep and then rub her back until she's out while she's in her bed. 

Quoting jessihernandez:

I'm a firm believer that it will happen when they are ready. I know it's difficult, but it will NOT last forever.

A proud Christian, Republican. Supporter of the deportation of ALL illegal immigrants and their anchor babies, Breastfeeding, Attachment parenting, Natural, Drug free Child Birthing, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing, ANTI- CRY IT OUT, mommy to my 3 girls and one on the way and wife to my Marine!

Abortion? What part of "Thou shalt NOT kill" don't you understand?

lauratupper
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:20 PM

my ds is 11 months...i only rock him to sleep for bedtime...for naps he just goes to sleep on his own....some nights i don't rock him though because he will just fall asleep. i'm sorry i don't really have any advice...BUMP

OliviaW.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:22 PM

I rock my son until he is almost sleep and then put him down. He normally falls asleep by myself. If he doesn't I rock him again or put him in thw swing and let it rock him.

Honeybun09
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Sorry I've never had to rock my daughter, even as a newborn. Here's a bump.

JOIN ME IN THE BABIES GROUP!

sillythang87
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:49 PM

mine was the SAME way!!! lol felt like my butt was permentaly glued to the rocking chair!!! we did end up letting her cio-sorta i cuddle and rock while she drinks her bedtime bottle and then lay her in bed and turn on her tad frog ( best toy ever!!) we set it to "6minutes til night-night" and by watching the lights and music shes asleep, this took about a week wed have to go in and reset but as long as shes not full on screaming we leave her, sometimes she'll whine or fuss but long as shes not WAAAHHHH we leave her

Mom2MonkeyGeese
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Your rocking her has become her crutch to fall asleep just like my 2 yr olds was my reading her to sleep - if you're tired of it, like I was cause bedtime could take an hour of my reading via nightlight till she fell asleep, then you have to start NOT doing it....it's a transition and it's hard, but it can be done.....just like any other transition....the 1st night will be the worst, then get gradually easier over abotu a week's time.....you just have to prepare YOU to deal with some crying....

lovengrace
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Totally agree, your rocking has become her crunch. Though my son is real young I noticed too that times in my arms though he is at his quietest and will go to sleep, momma can't hold u like this. But once I put him down there he goes. I have to stop this before it get too out of hand.

Quoting Mom2MonkeyGeese:

Your rocking her has become her crutch to fall asleep just like my 2 yr olds was my reading her to sleep - if you're tired of it, like I was cause bedtime could take an hour of my reading via nightlight till she fell asleep, then you have to start NOT doing it....it's a transition and it's hard, but it can be done.....just like any other transition....the 1st night will be the worst, then get gradually easier over abotu a week's time.....you just have to prepare YOU to deal with some crying....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)