Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Backpack Harnesses- Do you use one? (Updated)

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:41 PM
  • 28 Replies

I know there has been similar posts about harnesses before, but I really think I'm going to start using our monkey backpack harness more often in public. My almost 16 month old will only stay in the stroller for so long, but if taken out she runs off. We go out a lot just me and the kids since my husband goes to school and work full time and not home most of the week. I have a hard time keeping track of both kids and don't want to take my eyes off them for a moment. I can't take them to the play area at the mall because I'll lose track of one kid.

I may seem overprotective to some, but I just want to keep my kids safe. I know some people are judging about backpack harness. My 4 year old is fine to stay near me (unless it's a play area) and I'm sure my daughter will learn soon, too-- but in the meantime I'm not sure what to do. The only time we ever used the backpack with my son is at the Zoo/ other special outtings a few times when he was 1 or 2 yrs old, but two kids is more tricky. Thought I would add that both my kids love wearing the backpack around home (tail off or put up). It's like one of their toys. (:

So go ahead and share you honest opinion. :) What do you think of backpack harnesses or share your advice on how you help your little kids stay near you and safe in public?

UPDATE:

So I thought I would try out using the monkey backpack today and I kinda take back what I said about using it! We decided to go to the mall today and were mainly going to play in the kids area so I thought we would leave the stroller and just walk in. Then we ended up walking around more and my daughter kept trying to run off and would fall over or just throw a fit and lay on the floor. Oh, she loved the freedom, just didn't want to walk with us. I kept telling my son to lead the way and show her where to walk, but he didn't look back and kept walking further away.

I'm so going to stick to the stroller from now on. Like I said before she will stay in the stroller happily as long as we're moving. I'm still not going to be against harnesses for kids, but really think a stroller works best for us and even if she runs off when she is out of the stroller maybe I just have to grab her and keep teaching her. This would be a good concept for her to learn in other ways. I struggle with getting her dressed because she runs away from me.

Lilypie - (EtZh)Lilypie - (b3Sp)
       The Inside Source for Everything Local.
      Examiner is looking for contributing writers.
                          (Click logo for details)

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsApple
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:47 PM

We used one a few times when Helena first stopped riding in the stroller.We used it if we were in really crowded areas like amusement parks,ect. and were not afraid of her running off,because we'd still have her hold our hands,but because we were worried about her somehow being snatched.It was just a little more protection.She loved her bear backpack.I think they're great for parents with multiple kids.Sometimes you just have to have atleast one hand free! 

mariesmama
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:37 PM

i m gonna get one for my 17month old  we go to the store and she has a fit sitting in the cart

Footnotes85
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I'd so love one lol.. My older kids are 7 & 6 right now and do a fairly good job at sticking around now and my youngest is almost 4 months so it's not like he's going anywhere for a little while, but when he gets older I would love one.

Cassidysmom611
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Personally I don't like them, and do not use them. However, I don't judge people who do.

rocker_mommy_08
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:43 PM

DS is 3 years old. He doesnt use a leash and i refuse to put one on him. DH and I considered it ONCE and that was when we were going to the ren fest last year. but DS stayed next to us or sat in his wagon when he got tired of holding my hand. And I wont be using one with the one Im pregnant with either. this kid will also learn to either hold mommys hand or so in the stroller. no other choices.. Hell, I rarely use a leash with my dog...why would I use one with my children?

~*~Shawna~*~
A Front-facing, ASL using, baby-wearing, spanking, CIO, circing, anti-leash, pitbull loving, pierced, tattooed, proud mama to Corbin Sage (1/3/08). Also Expecting #2 (EDD: 9/14/11)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Mom71307
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Honestly, unless the child has a learning disability of some sort, I feel they are a parenting cop-out!  I would rather teach my children to stay close and listen to my words.  They are 3 1/2 and 17 months... if they do not obey and come back when I call or they go too far away, they go back in the stroller and are strapped there and/or receive a leg/bum swat.  My 3 1/2 yr old knows she needs to stay close because if she doesn't someone will take her.  My 17 month old is learning this and he wants to go on his own but I am diligent about the discipline in this (and all) areas!  I am OFTEN out with both kids (sometimes 2-3 more than my own) without other adult help... no one gets lost or taken since they know to listen.

angel11111
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM

The problem with this is that some kids are harder to control for many different reasons and if the wrong person sees you swat ur child no matter how gental then you have cps to deal with same goes for the screaming child sitting in the stroller some people see it as abuse even though it is not. Personally I don't think anyone should pass judgement on another parents style of parenting but thats me and I do use a harness for my 2yo.

Quoting Mom71307:

Honestly, unless the child has a learning disability of some sort, I feel they are a parenting cop-out!  I would rather teach my children to stay close and listen to my words.  They are 3 1/2 and 17 months... if they do not obey and come back when I call or they go too far away, they go back in the stroller and are strapped there and/or receive a leg/bum swat.  My 3 1/2 yr old knows she needs to stay close because if she doesn't someone will take her.  My 17 month old is learning this and he wants to go on his own but I am diligent about the discipline in this (and all) areas!  I am OFTEN out with both kids (sometimes 2-3 more than my own) without other adult help... no one gets lost or taken since they know to listen.

mommyhonu
by Mary on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I used one that was made for the wrist. but that was when we went to disneyland when our oldest was just a baby. I say you do what is best for you & your LO. Some moms love it and other moms choose not to use them for whatever reason. to each her own i say.

mommyziegler
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:16 PM

yes i do! I used them on my dd until she learned to stay put and listen. I think they are a great safety item!

Sara.Worthey
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:52 PM

My sil got one for us one christmas and my husband yelled at her saying we have kids, not animals. They are not for us, but I really don't care if others use them. However, (and here is where I am gonna get yelled at) I think there is a top age limit for them If your kid is in preschool/ Kindergarden, they shouldn't be used. We have the rule that you either hold hands in public, ride in the stroller/cart or are carried. yes it is a pain with 2 kids to have to carry a rambunctious 2 year old, but that happens so rarely now.

When the 2 year old gets older, and we go to the park more often, we will be getting the device that beeps when they get too far away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)