Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sooo cold... Bath help.

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:36 PM
  • 8 Replies
It has been so cold lately i havent been giving my ds frequent baths cause i dont want him to get sick. He is 5weeks old and screams everytimee we bathe him. My SO says we need to bathe him every day. Idk what i should do where we r living we dont have heat but we have a portable heater in our room. Any advice ladies? Please no bashing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MrsAdorkable
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Most doctors will say 3 a week is fine. Its not like he is crawling around picking up dirt or sweating up a storm!

Depending on how big your bathroom is, you could turn on the shower, let it steam up in there. Then turn it off and bathe DS (in sink, baby tub, big tub, w/e)

Some people probably wouldn't be comfortable doing this, but I take my son (2 months) into the big tub with me. Don't fill it as high or make it as warm as you would if it were just for yourself, of course. He was a screamer too, but not he just lays back on mommy's chest or knees and enojys bathtime.

mommy6-4-2010
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:00 PM

when its really cold, i only give dd a bath once a week. your baby is still little, and every day would dry out his skin, some people dont give frequent baths til the babies are older and just wash them up with wipes. its not like hes rolling around in dirt so i wouldnt worry about bath time all that much, esp if its real cold.

MrsApple
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:01 PM

There's no need to bathe him every day.Even at 5wks you could still just do sponge baths,leaving everything but the part you're washing dressed so he stays warmer,and do it in the room that has the heater.

lexipooh78
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:07 PM

When Wyatt was about that age we only gave him a bath 2 to 3 times a week and we would do as someone else said and steam up the bathroom first to warm it up. (We were in the middle of having a/c heat installed) Also I wouldn't worry about him not liking baths very much right now. Wyatt hated it and we were really worried because DH and I like to do a lot of water activities. Once he got big enough that we put actually had him down really in the water where he could kick his legs, he loved it. Now at  months he loves taking showers with Daddy and splashing in the big tub with Mommy. Congrats on your little one and just try to remember to do what you think is best.

joci2203
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Just a sponge bath is fine.

jessihernandez
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Sponge baths are just fine. Also, as PPs said, there's no need to bathe every day. In fact, using soap that often will really dry his skin out. I took/take DD into the bath with me. She doesn't really like the tub on her own, so we get clean together!

Schleetle
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:45 PM
I agree w/PPs. A nurse at the hospital also said that bathing a baby too often washes away some of the natural immunities built up on their I have no idea if that's true bc I didn't look more into it, but I only bathed DD every few days unless there was a reason to more often. He's so little he doesn't get smelly, or dirty. I'd do the sponge baths, and save big bath for days he really needs one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyhonu
by Mary on Feb. 21, 2011 at 12:03 AM

this

Quoting MrsApple:

There's no need to bathe him every day.Even at 5wks you could still just do sponge baths,leaving everything but the part you're washing dressed so he stays warmer,and do it in the room that has the heater.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)