Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your baby do this? sleep help!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM
  • 6 Replies

My 3 week old routinely stays awake for 12-14 hours at a time.  He might take one 2 hour nap during that time but more often will take a few 5-15 minute cat naps during that 12+ hour period and that's it.

Yesterday, like usual, he was awake from noon to 2 am with a few very short naps.  He's really fussy from 4 pm to 2 am and I'm concerned that this is a sleep deprivation problem because everything I read says 18-20 hours a day of sleep, but I don't know what else to do to make him sleep!  I'm definitely not stimulating him to stay awake.  He won't go in the sling anymore, won't sit in his bouncer seat like he used to, hates his swing, and will wake up if laid down anywhere. 

It takes hours to get him to sleep each night-- I will nurse him as much as he wants, walk him, rock him, cuddle him, do everything I can think of, until he falls asleep from sheer exhaustion.  Thankfully once he is asleep he will only wake up for about 15 minutes to eat and then goes right back to sleep.

DH and I haven't had any time with each other's exclusive attention in days because the baby is awake and fussy until well after midnight every night, and DH goes to bed so he can get up for work, so I end up sleeping in until 10 am or later since I am up so late with the baby.

Sorry this got so long... does anyone else's baby do this?  Any ideas on how to get him to sleep more or earlier?  I never thought it would be so difficult to get a newborn to sleep!

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JasonsMom2007
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM
My daughter used to do this. Eventually she started sleeping.
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2xp
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

We cosleep because my kids wouldn't go to sleep by rocking or anything. But the minute I lay down in bed with them they nurse and are out. I can then get out of bed after they are done and stay up with dh for a while

Lyras_Mama29
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM
If you don't want to co sleep at night, maybe co sleep with her at nap time? Lay down on the floor with her and nurse her till she's out then slowly get up? Maybe that'll work. I just let my dd stay asleep in my arms. if I had a sling, I'd use that, but I don't. Maybe a sling would help you also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom71307
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

3 week growth spurt and witching hours!  Those were almost EXACLTY the times my daughter was awake and nursing NON-stop from about birth to 3 months old.  TINY catnaps or dozing while on the breast but nothing significant!  Try a different kind of wrap or carrier to see if that helps him... mobys are good for tiny ones. 

la_bella_vita
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:01 PM

She will start sleeping again...don't worry!

Honeybun09
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Sorry I don't remember this is happening! Hopefully she sleeps again soon for you.

Due in May? Join us in May 2011 Babies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)