Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dose brestfeeding work as birthcontrole

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:24 PM
  • 16 Replies

im brestfeeding should i get on birthcontorle or dose bretfeeding work as birthcontor

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bellasmom32510
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:34 PM
It is not a good birth control method, if you don't want another baby I would talk to your dr about good options.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chadsmom05
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:36 PM
no
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:39 PM

NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My mom's friend was EBF her son and went back for her 6week checkup and was prego again!!!!!!!  It is NOT effective!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And she is not the only one I know of that that has happened to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Be careful and count your days........

lfrrll5
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:43 PM

I would say no. I know a few that have ebf and still got pregnant and never got their period back. I would make sure you use a different form of birth control

mama91605
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:02 PM
if your baby is younger than 6 months, on no solids, no formula, no anything but breastmilk from the breast it is suppose to be very effective. However I don't trust it so we use a back up method. I don't want another one right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BettyBlythe
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:03 PM

It depends, really...

lillynj
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:05 PM

You are less fertile according to my doctor but she suggest using condoms too-HTH

Mrs.Music
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM

YES BUT only if you are doing it the right way. It's called LAM or the Lactational Amenorrhea Method. You need to be nursing EXCLUSIVELY no supplements of any kind. Even pumped breastmilk shouldn't be given more than once in a blue moon. You need to be nursing through the night as well. And it's really only considered effective until 6 months when you start introducing solids, although for many people it is effective as long as you continue to breastfeed and will general space your children about 2-3 years apart. (Try reading Ecological Breastfeeding by Sheila  Kippley)

So... yes. But it's not something I would rely on if A) You really really don't want more kids because nothing is 100%  B) You work or need to be away from baby or... C) you are stupid (LOL. I felt this needed at least 3 reasons not to use it and couldn't really think of a 3rd, but that seems to cover the other reasons...)

lilmommy10805
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Quoting Mrs.Music: I did that after my son and ended up pregnant when he 6 months old.

YES BUT only if you are doing it the right way. It's called LAM or the Lactational Amenorrhea Method. You need to be nursing EXCLUSIVELY no supplements of any kind. Even pumped breastmilk shouldn't be given more than once in a blue moon. You need to be nursing through the night as well. And it's really only considered effective until 6 months when you start introducing solids, although for many people it is effective as long as you continue to breastfeed and will general space your children about 2-3 years apart. (Try reading Ecological Breastfeeding by Sheila  Kippley)

So... yes. But it's not something I would rely on if A) You really really don't want more kids because nothing is 100%  B) You work or need to be away from baby or... C) you are stupid (LOL. I felt this needed at least 3 reasons not to use it and couldn't really think of a 3rd, but that seems to cover the other reasons...)

TheMrs407
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Yes it does.  It not as effective as hormonal birth control and if you REALLY don't want a baby you can talk to your doctor about safe options while nursing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)