Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Almond milk at 1 yr

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 9:37 AM
  • 19 Replies

I still have a few months to go,  but I was wondering about almond milk for my daughter when she weans from breastmilk. I drink it because I like it, it's got 1/2 the sugar as whole milk, vit E and it's cholesterol free. Anyway, at Liv's 9 mo checkup I mentioned that I drink it and Aaron sometimes drinks it and I was thinking of having Liv drink it at some point. Dr only said "it's good for you" but she didnt respond to my comment about giving Livy any. Right now, my son drinks 2% organic milk. I've read in some places that Almond milk isn't fatty enough to give a 1 yr old. But what if I offer other fatty foods like avocado. I've also read that after a yr they don't necessarily NEED milk, they just need dairy and they can get that from yogurt and cheese. My son was on soy when he was 9 months. Drank that til he was 2, then we put him on whole. 

We're not starting the weaning process til Liv hits 12 months. Each week we are cutting out a feeding and I'll let her decide when to cut out the first morning one. So she could be bfing at least once a day til she's 2 for all I care. But I plan on using what I have in the freezer, which is currently about 600 oz. I use 3 oz a day for her sippy cup at dinner time and some for oatmeal in the morning when she wants it. Of course, as she weans we'll use the bm and then when there's only about a month's worth left, I will start doing half and half to transition to something other than bm. 

Is anyone's 1 yr old on almond milk? Does it hold the same allergy effects as other nuts? Olivia has had pancakes made with almond milk before and hasn't had any reaction, so I'm thinking if she was deathly allergic, she'd have had a reaction by now, right? There are no nut allergies in the family at all. 

Jesus Christ now lives in me! I am a 100% pro-life, wife,  Christian, vaccinatin, non co-sleepin, breastfeedin, CIO method usin,  schedule stickin to, organic servin and eatin, as Green as I can get, SAHM of 2 and in~home childcare provider. Check out my blog 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
expectantmom81
by Erin on Mar. 15, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I wouldn't give it because it may not have the full nutrition that baby needs from the cows whole milk. You could ask the doctor but personally I would just start with whole milk.

mom2ljh
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 9:43 AM

They don't even need dairy.  If they did, milk allergic kids wouldn't survive childhood, nor would children being raised vegan.  That's beside the point.  Anyhow, I wouldn't give almond milk at 1, even with her getting traces through your milk, because of the risk of allergies.  Instead, I'd give hemp milk for a year.  It has essential fatty acids, which are what children ACTUALLY need for brain development, not the saturated fat of whole cow's milk.  It also has tons of vitamins and 500mg of calcium per 8oz.  My son drank hemp milk from 15 months to about 26 months.  THEN we weaned him to almond milk and he's done great.  He can finally have milk but we don't give it to him regularly; we keep him on almond milk.  He does wonderfully and we all love it.

srbtab1999
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 9:48 AM
My son has been on almond and soy since he stopped bf at 14 months cause the cows milk cause him constipation as well as stomach pains.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Many say don't b/c of "nut" allergies.  My DD self-weaned at 13mo from EBF!  She is lactose-intollerant and it took us FOREVER to find that out.  She also can't process sugars in juices bought at the stores.  Anyway....long story!  She drinks lactose-free or soy-milk.  I know there is research about soy being bad and what not, but her pedi said it was fine and it doesn't hurt her tummy!  We haven't tried the almond milk nor coconut milk nor rice milk, tho we probably should.  I usually buy what's on sale or have a coupon for....its so expensive.  Good luck and God bless.........

joci2203
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2011 at 10:44 AM

We started on Almond and coconut milk after my son weaned.  We stay away from dairy:) 

mamabens
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Cows milk is made for baby cows, it has no more nutrition than any other milk, Harrison has been drinking almond & coconut milk since he was 1, bt he also bf's still 2 & he is 2 yrs. It's fine for her, jsut make sure she has a helathy balanced diet which she should have anyway, even if she's drinking cows milk.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Babies don't need cows milk (or even dairy). It doesn't contain the fats that are necessary for brain development, it's just full of saturated (artery clogging) fat, sodium and cholesterol. The fats they need are monounsaturated and polyunsatruated fats and they are found in things like avocado, fish, nuts and seeds, non hydrogenated oils etc.

After my babies finish nursing, all they get is water. No milk of any type.

Honeybun09
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 11:04 AM

My daughter loves almond milk. Cow's milk is not necessary. I would get rid of it completely out of my house but DH won't give it up, so he gets organic fat free milk.

My daughter drinks mostly soy milk with organic soybeans and other times she drinks almond milk, coconut milk, or rice milk.

I drink none of it because I don't like the taste of the alternative milks and don't want to drink regular milk, so I just get my calcium and vitamin D from other sources.

Due in May? Join us in May 2011 Babies!

Dianal33213
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I personally suggest it, My son has been on almond milk after he weined off of formula, we discussed it with his doctor in the begining as we were concerned as well. It is healthier, for them and with cows milk you run the risk of causing constipation or damaging their childs liver (there are several articles that explain how a child's organs are weaker at the younger ages and how cows milk is actually not good for them)

As long as you are incorporating healthy food into their diet, your child should be fine, remember dont focus so much on how many nutrients, carbs, fat is in one dish, instead try to take in consideration the foods your child will consume in the entire day.

JasonsMom2007
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Why wean?  DD has had a tiny bit of almond milk before and she is 10 months.  She loves it.  My 3.5 year old drinks it all of the time.  He self weaned at 23 months and she is still a strong nurser.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)