Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SIDS... Need Help (*Edit* Mother's Intuition is Always Right!!!!!!!!!!!)

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:10 AM
  • 123 Replies

Ayla is now 10 weeks old, and I still am obsessing over SIDS. I follow all precautions to avoid SIDS, but it still drives me insane with worry. I check to see that her chest is still rising every 5 minutes or so without fail, even through the night. If I can't see any movement, I touch her to get her to move a little. I can not relax!

What I'm wondering is, does SIDS just happen without any external force? (a blanket, bumper, not laying on back, etc...) Do some babies just stop breathing? Are some at more risk than others?

I am a first time mommy, so I know it's normal to worry more than others, but I feel like this may be extreme. I was getting better until a friend told me of two SIDS instances close to her. Now I don't ever want to fall asleep; I just want to watch her little chest. If anybody can give me some words of wisdom on the situation, I would GREATLY appreciate the help!

Edit- Ayla started aspirating today and we've been in the ER for hours. She has pyloric stenosis and is having surgery. If I hadn't been crazy about her breathing, I may not have caught it. She could have suffocated!!! PLEASE PRAY FOR MY ANGEL! I'm worried SICK

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BrittM1988
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:14 AM

SIDs is what they label a death when they know no other cause, recently it was showen to, possibly, be caused by a lack of seratonin in the brain. In which cause it is predestined at birth to happen. When they say no bumpers, blankets, ect, that is to prevent suffication, not truly SIDs, I have a 8 month old, and I still check her before going to bed. I was just like you, worried out of my mind, but then I realized, if it happens, then it happens, it wouldn't be my fault, or anyones. My daughter even sleeps on her belly now. But they have found that the African population, and males, and more likely to subcome to sids.

RedSaphhire
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:15 AM
I'm the same way. My babe is 6 months old and I still worry. I obsessed the first few months too. It gets easier. It can happen using all precautions. Just keep breathing, follow the guidelines, it gets better over time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysons_r_mylife
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I heard that using a Paci decreases the chances, didnt research it. I think you can relax a little and enjoy your baby. :)

marathonMama78
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:32 AM

I was the same way with my first son.  I couldn't sleep, I always had a hand on him at night, I was a wreck.  My Grandmother had lost a son to sids, so that was my biggest fear.  I would cry at night just at the thought of it.  All you can do is follow the guidelines and hang in there.  It does get easier and the fear goes away.  Enjoy Ayla and just keep doing what you are doing.  I am not as nervous with our second son, I do still check on him thru out the night, his bassinet is right next to my bed, thankfully he makes lots of noise in his sleep!  Good luck, hang in there!

MirandaPage
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Recently I believe they said that a fan would decrease the chances. I don't believe there is anything you can do to truly prevent it. I obsessed for a few weeks too, then I realized that I was missing out on spending time with her, so I relaxed.

Barronbaby
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:39 AM
white noise (fan, soft music) and nuks (paci's) are said to reduce risk of sids. I'm sorry no real help it gets better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BCE30C
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Just letting you know you are not alone.  Mine is 9 months i was very worried for about 3 months. Looked up alot of info on it and finally came to the conclusion that no matter what i did i could not totally prevent it.  I still worried, but a little less.  This was my second child so even us seasoned moms worry.  Enjoy your new baby and try to relax a little

www.youravon.com/clinsday.  Place an online order over $20 and recieve a free gift, and be entered to win a planet spa gift pack worth over $30.  Now till april 2nd.

ProudMommy51006
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:51 AM
I too have heard that the paci and white noise reduced the risk. The reason for this (I heard) is to keep the brain stimulated because if it's not stimulated the baby could forget to breathe. Of course, my son never would take a binki and my daughter stopped at 3 months, so I was terrified. To be honest, it still scares me. My daughter is way big enough not to dies of sids, she will be 5 in May and yesterday she slept in til 10:30 (she usually wakes up by 7:30-8:00. I was worried something was wrong like did she has a seizure in her sleep or something. Needless to say, I checked on her for her chest to rise and fall, over and over until she woke up. With my son, he is 12 months, I don't worry about is as much, he doesn't sleep more than 3-4 hours at a time anyway. The fear of losing your child is huge, but as long as you do everything you are supposed to, there is nothing else you can do. Try to relax and enjoy your little girl. She needs a rested mommy so make sure you get to sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaof3.5
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I hate to argue, especially when we all want some reassurance that we are preventing SIDS, but I have never heard reliable research on pacifiers helping prevent SIDS.  The most reliable things I know don't apply to everyone, but I will list them anyway:  do not smoke (even outside, because the smoke is on you and baby will breath it) and never go to bed under the influence of alcohol, because you may not wake up from very subtle sounds.  I am a very strong believer in keeping baby in your room, not down the hall in a nursery.  Mine slept with me, but next to your bed is good if there are reasons co-sleeping isn't best for you.  You are "programmed" (instinct) to be very aware of your baby.  If you are next to her, she is safer, and babies learn to regulate their breathing by listening to us.  Does she have any respiratory problems?  If she has always been healthy and wasn't very early, there is no particular reason to worry about her breathing...  That said, worrying is par for the course.  I have four, and I always was very attentive and even sometimes poked at them if they were too quiet.  It does get better with time, but that whole saying about having kids being like taking our hearts out of our chest and letting them walk around?  Totally true...   Good for you for your attentiveness, though.  You are being a good mama!     

marine_wife0520
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I was soooo paranoid I went out and bought a movement monitor for $100. I know it seems a little pricey but I rested much easier knowing it was on. I still took all the normal precautions and it only went off twice, both times he had tucked himself up into the corner so the sensor couldn't sense his breathing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)