Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Diaper Planning for the newborns!

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:22 PM
  • 11 Replies

Newborn Diaper Planning

Disposable diapers or cloth diapers that is the question! Well, if you are like most mom you thrive on making the best decision for your child when it comes to choosing the best kinds of diapers! But, the all time favorite one is their baby's skin. Every mother wants to make decisions of choosing diapers that will not leave baby with skin rashes or which ones that will keep the baby drier. I'm not going to lie, I gave Walmart brand diapers a chance, but I was very unpleased with them. For me, I could not use store brand diapers on either one of my childrens because for one, they could only urine in them once, before it started to leak, and two, they were cheap. Other concerns about disposable diapers were the dyes, sodium polyacrylate (the absorbent gel) that they tend to use within the diapers. The Sodium polyacrylate has been linked in the past to toxic shock syndrome, allergic reactions and it is very harmful to pets. Some of the other dyes and dioxin according to the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) is known for causing damage to the central nervous system , kidneys, and liver.

Problems reported to the Consumer Protection Agency regarding disposables include, chemical burns, noxious chemical and insecticide odors, babies pulling disposables apart and putting pieces of plastic into their noses and mouth, choking on tab papers and linings, plastic melting onto the skin, and ink staining the skin. Plastic tabs can also tear skin if the diaper is not properly put on the baby. According to the Journal of Pediatrics, 54 % of one-month old babies using disposable diapers had rashes, 16 % having severe rashes.

With more and more moms going green, they are starting to increase the needs for cloth diapers or eco-friendly diapers such as Seventh Generation Diapers. The choice between the different types of diapers available is a matter of personal preference. There really is no one best type of diaper that is good for every baby. Deciding to use cloth or disposable diapers depends on your lifestyle, personal preference, finances and your concern for the environment. Some parents combine the two, using cloth at home and disposable when they are going to be out all day. The choice that is right for you and your baby may be different from the one that's right for your friend and her baby. So, my best advice to you would be to decide on a choice diapers that are best for you and your baby and your family's life style.

Best wishes to you and your family!
LaTersa Blakely

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I use both cloth and disposables. :)

la_bella_vita
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Quoting abra:

I use both cloth and disposables. :)

littlemama810
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:38 PM

I'd like to use cloth diapers, but living in an apartment and having to walk down the street to do laundry makes it to hard too. :(

Leelee1008
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I did not go cloth with any of my children. I used to use walmart diapers on ds#2 and loved them, that was also 7 years ago, now I think they are horrible. Ds#1 was strickly a pampers baby as anything other then them or huggies surpremes would break him out(they dotn even make supreems anymore i think), now with DD she doesnt seem to have an allergy to any diapers. I use either huggies or pampers on her, I have used walmart and I hated them. she peed once in them and they were full.

asap1908
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I used disposable; At the time, I wasn't aware of cloth diapers.

asap1908
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I can totally agree with you on this one.  I was in an apartment complex as well. and I just didn't want to have to go up the street to do laundry in Jan. and feb. too too cold!!!!!!

mommy2xp
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:24 PM

i've always used disposable. it's just what works for us

Raeann11
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:25 PM

We use disposable the first month or so. Due to reason, I wanted to just use up the bit I have left over from my second and then go to cloth  right away.

asap1908
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:25 PM

OMG, Lee lee , you had the same experience i had with walmart brand diapers.  They are very cheap for a reason.  You are absolutely right, my babies could only pee once before the diapers start to get all clumpy and falling apart.  So true.

asap1908
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I so love it talking about our experience with our little ones.  I love you guys responses.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)