Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

taking a 7 months paci away?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:39 PM
  • 24 Replies
how would u do it? and would u do it now or wait till a year? why would you?

my dd has jus recently started to love her paci.. she always wants it for naptime and bedtime N sometimes if her teeth hurt she wants it' i dont want her to have it past a yr
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Honeybun09
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Sorry I'm no help! My daughter never took one. Here's a bump.

Due in May? Join us in May 2011 Babies!

abra
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I usually wean mine just before their 2nd birthday (so we can get passed the teething stuff), I just gradually snip off a bit of the nipple everyday. Be the end of the week there is nothing to suck on and they usually forget all about it within a couple days.

1st_time_mom789

my DD will be five months old this week and she only takes her paci when her teeth hurt and for bed/naptime. I'd start by not giving it to her sometimes at nap/bedtime. and then keep doing that gradually until she doesn't use it at all. instead of giving it to her when her teeth hurt give her a teether instead and see how that works. also get humphreys. it sold at most drug stores. they are little pellets that you put in dd's mouth and it helps with the pain when teething. it works wonders on my DD. Good luck!

Julie132

I would say--give her pleny of time!  If it's comforting to her, that is what matters.  And then be careful how you discontinue it--attachment parenting websites have info on this.

RaLeighsMommy11
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM
ive never heard of that that sounds like a good way to do it

Quoting abra:

I usually wean mine just before their 2nd birthday (so we can get passed the teething stuff), I just gradually snip off a bit of the nipple everyday. Be the end of the week there is nothing to suck on and they usually forget all about it within a couple days.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaLeighsMommy11
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM
yea i dont wanna just take it all away @ once! i jus wanna slowly do it! im fine wit her having it till she is

Quoting Julie132:

I would say--give her pleny of time!  If it's comforting to her, that is what matters.  And then be careful how you discontinue it--attachment parenting websites have info on this.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schleetle
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:01 PM

It's your call as to when... I start with giving it at just nap/bedtime then one day just toss them out. Nothing fancy... I may get her a baby doll that takes a pretend paci so I can show her the paci is for little babies (she's 15 months). I plan to have DD's gone around 18 months.

Hisservent
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:11 PM

my daughter is pretty attached to hers as well,  but she ONLY gets it when she's in her bed or if she's really tired and we aren't home to put her down. Also, if her mouth seems to really be bothering her, we sometimes let her have it. But I try not to give it to her at all unless it's withing 30 mins of her nap/bed time.

It's really up to you in what you want to do. We didn't get rid of our son's til he was 16 months. His first tooth didn't pop out til he ws 14 months, so it helped with the teething process.  But he too, only had it when he was in bed. When he turned 16 months we decided it was time to get rid of it. So, for 3 days we didn't let him have it for naps, but he could have it at bed time. Then on the 3rd day, I threw it out and he couldn't have it at all. The first 2 days (not having for naps) he cried. 1 hr the first day and 20 mins the next. Then he didn't cry at all. He actually slept better without it than he did with it because he'd sometimes lose it at night and cry because he couldn't find it.

I plan to do the same with our daughter. She's already got 3 teeth and she'll be 10 months on April 3. I may try to get rid of it at 1 but we'll see. I've seen her fall asleep without it but it's a help when she wakes at night, I go in and "plug her back up" and she goes back to sleep. It's definately going to be gone by 16 months, though. 

I've seen people get rid of them cold turkey, some transition like I did, and some cut the tips off so they don't work like they're suppose to, making the child not want it anymore. I'm probably just going to do the transition with Liv. 

Jesus Christ now lives in me! I am a 100% pro-life, wife,  Christian, vaccinatin, non co-sleepin, breastfeedin, CIO method usin,  schedule stickin to, organic servin and eatin, as Green as I can get, SAHM of 2 and in~home childcare provider. Check out my blog 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

la_bella_vita
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:15 PM

We never used one for our kids, so bump!

RaLeighsMommy11
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:14 PM
thats how it is for my dd if i didnt give it back to her @ night she wld eat ALL night! she wakes at least 4 times for it

Quoting Hisservent:

my daughter is pretty attached to hers as well,  but she ONLY gets it when she's in her bed or if she's really tired and we aren't home to put her down. Also, if her mouth seems to really be bothering her, we sometimes let her have it. But I try not to give it to her at all unless it's withing 30 mins of her nap/bed time.

It's really up to you in what you want to do. We didn't get rid of our son's til he was 16 months. His first tooth didn't pop out til he ws 14 months, so it helped with the teething process.  But he too, only had it when he was in bed. When he turned 16 months we decided it was time to get rid of it. So, for 3 days we didn't let him have it for naps, but he could have it at bed time. Then on the 3rd day, I threw it out and he couldn't have it at all. The first 2 days (not having for naps) he cried. 1 hr the first day and 20 mins the next. Then he didn't cry at all. He actually slept better without it than he did with it because he'd sometimes lose it at night and cry because he couldn't find it.

I plan to do the same with our daughter. She's already got 3 teeth and she'll be 10 months on April 3. I may try to get rid of it at 1 but we'll see. I've seen her fall asleep without it but it's a help when she wakes at night, I go in and "plug her back up" and she goes back to sleep. It's definately going to be gone by 16 months, though. 

I've seen people get rid of them cold turkey, some transition like I did, and some cut the tips off so they don't work like they're suppose to, making the child not want it anymore. I'm probably just going to do the transition with Liv. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)