Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Only 1 child?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:09 PM
  • 12 Replies
I have been thinking that I only want 1 child because it is so expensive to raise children. I had my son in Jan and thats all I ever really ever wanted was 1 boy. Also SO doesnt want anymore kids sine he has a dd from another relationship and now we have ds. Am I too young to be makin decisions like this? Im 21yrs old and going to school. Am I being selfish by not giving my son a little bro or sis someday? Whats your opinion?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Schleetle
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Well he already has a half sister so he won't be without a sibling. I guess you can go with for now you don't want anymore children, but I wouldn't do any permanent form of BC until later in life. I was unsure for years before I decided to have DD.

Ohio.SAHMof2
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:43 PM
I would just use bc and down the road decide. To make sure no permante choices were made until you are ready
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicaaris
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:46 PM
Its your life, if you don't want more kids that's totally fine. I'm sure your son will be perfectly fine without a little brother or sister. That being said I think you might change your mind later down the line. A few months old is still new and hectic but once your son gets older you may want more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janeleesmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I am 32 and I had my little one Jan. of last yr. I had tons of complications!! It was a very hard prego. However, I am sooo thankful that she is here,and she was worth everything we all went through..I want to have a nother one but, I have to really think bbout it bc of what I went through( and it is not like I am getting any younger). Saying this I have a cousin and a grandma on my husbands side that is saying i am selfish for not having another one. Hello??? Were y'all not there during all of this. I can't stand it when people say that. It is your body, and it is not like they are going to be raising the child. To me, it is that womens descion! We can hardly afford the one we have now, but, they want us to have another one. Uhhh...

SoniaL
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I wouldn't make any permanent decisions yet. You may end up down the road wanting more or not but if you wait at least you will not regret it.

I think there are pros and cons of each (only child and multiple children). I wouldn't have another out of guilt for your child not having a sibling (though I often feel bad for only kids I see as they seem to look longingly at my gaggle of girls).

ShannaBee
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:58 PM

No. I'm 25 and I am thinking DD will be my only. I'd like a boy but I'm pretty content with my daughter right now.

tel4him
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:02 PM

I think 21 is way too young to make that kind of decision.  I don't think there's anything wrong with only having one child, but don't do anything permanent yet.  You may change your mind later.

marriedmomma3
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:04 PM
This

Quoting Ohio.SAHMof2:

I would just use bc and down the road decide. To make sure no permante choices were made until you are ready
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauratupper
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Quoting Ohio.SAHMof2:

la_bella_vita
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:55 PM

I think everyone should do what they feel is best for their family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)