Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help me please! What would you do?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:53 PM
  • 35 Replies
My 13 month old sons temp is 104.2 under his arm.I just gave him advil.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
holmes212
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:54 PM
Call after hours nurse
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soon2bemama2008
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:54 PM
Take him to the er. That's too high. Did you add a degree since you took it under his arm?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Just call the dr. You don't need to go to the ER unless the fever doesn't come down within an hour after giving Motrin, or if he isn't acting right. DD had a temp of 104.7 one night when she was 8 months. I called the dr, he asked what she was doing at that moment. She was crawling around, playing on the floor. He said just to keep an eye on the temp and take her in IF the fever didn't come down within the hour, or if she was acting out of character. Just watch his temp, undress him down to his diaper (or leave light layer one) don't let him get chilled though because shivering will raise his temp. You can put a cool cloth on the back of his neck, his armpit area, and groin area also. Check his temp 30-60 min after giving the motrin and go from there. You can nearly always avoid an unnecessary trip to the ER just by calling the on call Ped/Nurse.

MamaBear2cubs
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Give him a luke warm bath and recheck in half an hour if it is still high go to the ER.

la_bella_vita
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Take him to the ER

Teresand3
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:03 PM
I didn't add a degree.I just now talked to the dr on call.he said just make sure he's hydrated and give him something to bring his fever down, which I already did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soon2bemama2008
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:06 PM
So adding the degree would be 105. Don't do a bath. It doesn't help with the fever. Do wash clothes on the neck and under the arms and dress him very lightly
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
holmes212
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:07 PM
Give him tlc :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmomma_1205
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Umm; can you even give a child that young advil?? I have never heard of that. But if so, cool.
Anywho.... TAKE HIM TO THE ER!! That is why to high & he could have seizures or brain damage with it getting that high. Not meaning to scare you but don't chance it; take him!

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Good, hopefully the fever comes down soon and stays down! You may have to give Motrin around the clock for a day or 2 though. As long as the fever comes down with meds it's usually okay to just treat at home.

Quoting Teresand3:

I didn't add a degree.I just now talked to the dr on call.he said just make sure he's hydrated and give him something to bring his fever down, which I already did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)