Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cereal for babies before bed?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:56 PM
  • 28 Replies
Whats your thought on this?

At what age do you feel is ok?

my dd is 7 months old and ive never give it to her but i know a LOT of moms who do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:59 PM

it worked for us to help her sleep through the night (with my first) and I believe it was after she was 6 months that we added some in her bottle.

My pediatrician mentioned it was an ethnic thing, which pissed me off!  My current baby can taste anything we put in the milk, so she just gets straight milk at all times.  (I tried to spike her milk with liquid vitamins)

athenaheim
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:00 PM
My ds wouldn't eat it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:01 PM

We do not do cereal so here is a bump!

Leelee1008
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:02 PM

my oldest son had it a little after a month old. my youngest son started getting at a week old b/c he was eatting so much, DD is 2 months and i havent given it to her yet. I dont know when I will maybe around 3 1/2 months or 4 idk. i am doing things different with her not sure why either

i.luv.ree.n.zee
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:02 PM

I don't think it works. Also, I do not see any reasons to put it in a bottle unless you are doing so for reflux. I think cereal is good for teaching baby how to use a spoon and just get them acclimated to solid foods. 

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:03 PM

I don't see anything wrong with giving your baby some solids before bedtime if he/she wants them and is ready for them, as long as it isn't replacing breastmilk or formula. It shouldn't go in the bottle though.

janeleesmom

I gave her a little cereal before she went to bed. It helped her sleep through the night.

RaLeighsMommy11
ethnic thing? thats just stupid of him to say! My 7 month old wakes up at LEAST 4 times a night and eats twice.. maybe i should try it?? hmm idk though! im breastfeeding so id have to spoon feed it to her

Quoting MixedCooke:

it worked for us to help her sleep through the night (with my first) and I believe it was after she was 6 months that we added some in her bottle.

My pediatrician mentioned it was an ethnic thing, which pissed me off!  My current baby can taste anything we put in the milk, so she just gets straight milk at all times.  (I tried to spike her milk with liquid vitamins)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MegaMutant
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Not before bed, no. Only after a bottle and only as practice eatting. That's all it's meant for. Before bed should be a bottle and you should definitely not put it in the bottle.

RaLeighsMommy11
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:05 PM
yes i breastfeed anyways.. how would u give it to them without in the bottle? do u mix it with breastmilk? or ive heard of mixing with juice and adding some fruit??

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

I don't see anything wrong with giving your baby some solids before bedtime if he/she wants them and is ready for them, as long as it isn't replacing breastmilk or formula. It shouldn't go in the bottle though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)