Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastmilk has healing properties?...for a eye problem with my newborn.

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:25 PM
  • 13 Replies

I think my 3 month old DD may have an eye infection. I accidently poked her in the eye with her bottle....formula was expressed into her eye. Her eye doesn't seem swollen or that red, but there is crust that occurs whenever she wakes up from her naps. She seems a bit sensitive to light, but is fine after a few mins. 

I plan on calling her doctor tommorrow, but to get to the heading of my post....I read a lot online about women who have had an  issue with close eye ducts and even infections and have treated them with breastmilk! Now, I think I still have milk, though I don't BF, but I am afraid to do it....

Has anyone ever tried it?

Come on in and join us:)

Marriage,Mental Health,and Addictions

http://www.cafemom.com/group/112038

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommySteph06
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:28 PM
My son had a blocked tear duct and my other son had some kind of eye infection (can't remember what his doctor called it), but I put breastmilk in both of their eyes and it helped both issues.
Breastmilk had a lot of healing properties. It's also great for diaper rash and east infections
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ATG499
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:29 PM
It sounds like her eye is watering in her sleep. As for the light, her eyes are probably readjusting.

I've never done the breastmilk thing, but I know someone who did and it cleared up her DD's eye infection better than her prescribed ointment did. Breastmilk has a lot of benefits! It works wonders on diaper rashes, too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommySteph06
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:29 PM
**ear not east...sorry my phone gets a little confused sometimes lol!

Quoting MommySteph06:

My son had a blocked tear duct and my other son had some kind of eye infection (can't remember what his doctor called it), but I put breastmilk in both of their eyes and it helped both issues.

Breastmilk had a lot of healing properties. It's also great for diaper rash and east infections
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prettygirl326
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:34 PM

I was think her eyes were sensitive because of the injury caused by my mishap....I know from experience that your eyes are sensitive when that happens. I don't know if it is infected....all I know is that her left eye is crusty when she wakes up and it is that one eye that I injured....never noticed this type of thing before.

Quoting ATG499:

It sounds like her eye is watering in her sleep. As for the light, her eyes are probably readjusting.

I've never done the breastmilk thing, but I know someone who did and it cleared up her DD's eye infection better than her prescribed ointment did. Breastmilk has a lot of benefits! It works wonders on diaper rashes, too.

Come on in and join us:)

Marriage,Mental Health,and Addictions

http://www.cafemom.com/group/112038

Misery_Stitches
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:31 AM

yes, I have done it and it worked well most opf hte time, one timwe I think it was too severe but it made it not so bad... antibiotics healed the rest... also used it for all sorts of other things like a dog bite, cuts and scratches, eczema, rashes etc

Stephie280
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:34 AM

I've used breast  milk to cure pink eye many of times. My dr recomends it. Expressing some into a cup and getting an eye dropper from walmart. I've used it on my older kids too just didn't tell them what it was. It also works great on diaper rashes if you rub it on there bum. breast milk is awesome.

Sucks i do'n't have any anymore. :O(

Teresand3
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 6:41 AM
bump for later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PhilsBabyMama
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Breast milk can cure eye infections and it's certainly not going to hurt.  It sounds like a clogged tear duct to me, though.  My son had that,  and we would put a warm, wet wash cloth on his eye for a few minutes, then massage the corner of the eye right between his eye and the bridge of his nose. 

la_bella_vita
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 8:27 AM

It sounds like a clogged tear duct.

grapejelly
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 8:30 AM

this!  bm will help though

Quoting la_bella_vita:

It sounds like a clogged tear duct.

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)