Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 month old is BITING (and it HURTS!)

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:54 PM
  • 4 Replies

My son just turned 8 months old a few days ago and he has begun biting people. He got teeth early (both bottom front teeth at 4 months and all 4 front teeth on the top at 5 months) and he liked to chew on teething rings and such, but now he has moved on to actually biting people.

How do I get him to stop this? I have 3 bruises on my upper arm from him biting me. I don't think he's doing it intentionally, I think it's just me being something new to chew on since he's in the phase where he puts everything in his mouth. We give him plenty of things to chew on (teethers, cloth books, etc.) but he prefers to chew on his dad and me.

I'm just not sure what is effective in breaking him of this behavior with him only being 8 months. I don't want to smack his mouth and I'm sure he would have no idea what a time out is. I'm not sure what his reasoning level is or if it is even possible to break him of this at this age because he doesn't really know the difference between right and wrong. I just know that I don't want him to continue doing it.

Any advice?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Schleetle
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I would put him down when he bites you, and firmly tell him "No biting you are hurting mommy"  or something along those lines. He probably doesn't understand that it's hurting you. You could also try redirecting his attention to something else when he is going biting you/dad.

Honeybun09
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I agree. At 8 months there's really not much more you can do.

I used to tell my daughter (when she was an infant) that mommy didn't hold little girls that hurt their mommy. She used to slap you in the face and laugh.

Quoting Schleetle:

I would put him down when he bites you, and firmly tell him "No biting you are hurting mommy"  or something along those lines. He probably doesn't understand that it's hurting you. You could also try redirecting his attention to something else when he is going biting you/dad.

lauratupper
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Quoting Schleetle:

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:49 PM

This

Quoting Schleetle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)