Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

for those against CIO or for moms who are for it & wanna give their opinion!

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:23 PM
  • 9 Replies
Do you think this is CIO??

i do not do this btw just curious!

if your child wakes up in the middle of the night and you let them cry for 5-10 minutes so see if they r really awake is that letting them CIO?? and for those of you who think thats ok what happens when they sleep in the room w/ u but in their on bed? what about when they are pulling up & just standing there.. how would they fall asleep when they r standing up? just curious! again i dont let my dd cry i usually grab her when she starts crying. she sleeps in her own bed in my room and she will pull up on her crib everytime she wakes up & jus cry! she is 7 1/2 months old! some ppl say she's not really awake but her pulling up & crying loud i think she is!!! and btw she is up EvERY hour or two lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Honeybun09
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Well personally, I can tell what kind of cry my daughter is doing in the first 30 seconds or so. She has a really distinct cry. If she cries because she's hurt or cold or peed herself, she cries pretty loud and it doesn't take longer than 10 seconds for me to know she needs my help. Otherwise I listen for only about half a minute because that's about how long it takes for me to see if it's just a little whimper of having woken up and is going back to sleep.

It doesn't take me 5-10 minutes to listen to figure it out.

MixedCooke
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 2:03 AM

sometimes she cries but is not awake, so I listen for actual movement. When she is in her own room in the crib, I will listen to the cry and see if she is actually awake.  I usually check in 3 to 5 minutes.

stellarluna
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 2:09 AM

no, I am very much against CIO, and I don't consider that CIO.  You know your child and if they sometimes cry out and fall back to sleep... I say that's no big deal.  If they stand up, I would go get them because that's just me, but I don't use a crib, so I don't know that scenario!  Some kids may very well stand up, see that it's still night, and lay back down to fall asleep... I don't know.  All kids are so different.  CIO to me is a way for parents to train their kids to go to sleep without any type of interaction from anyone else.  That usually starts out with a phase of crying which I guess you check in on in intervals and the idea is that eventually, your kid gives up on the crying and just falls asleep on their own every night.  I don't like it myself.

pooh2you
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 2:19 AM

For me i can tell by her cry if her cry only last for a few secs then she i know she is ok she is going back to sleep. but now if she having a bad night and it is midnight and she is still awake then i will go in there and lay her down and go in there every few mins and rock her and lay her back down and giver her sassy and baby back. most times it only takes 2 maybe 3 times of doing that and she is off to sleep. But now i do CIO to an extent but not for longer than 15-20 mins. but we did not start it till at about 8 months. IMO it is not going to hurt them to cry if it did 75% of the world would not be here today

Christy619
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 2:44 AM

5-10 minutes I would consider CIO. For me personally thats a long time to let a baby cry. I can distinguish my kids cries very quickly.

Ohio.SAHMof2
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 8:26 AM
This is also what I do as well. I know both my boys cries and will react accordingly. I know my five month olf wakes up and just sits in his bed with no crying and I allow him to just lay there.

Quoting Honeybun09:

Well personally, I can tell what kind of cry my daughter is doing in the first 30 seconds or so. She has a really distinct cry. If she cries because she's hurt or cold or peed herself, she cries pretty loud and it doesn't take longer than 10 seconds for me to know she needs my help. Otherwise I listen for only about half a minute because that's about how long it takes for me to see if it's just a little whimper of having woken up and is going back to sleep.

It doesn't take me 5-10 minutes to listen to figure it out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessie82087
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Occasionally DS will cry for a few minutes in his sleep. I allow him to go for a bit, because I can usually tell when it's a sleep cry or not. But if it doesn't stop after 2 minutes, I pick him up. I am completely anti-CIO.

lauratupper
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Quoting Christy619:

5-10 minutes I would consider CIO. For me personally thats a long time to let a baby cry. I can distinguish my kids cries very quickly.

abra
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 11:58 AM
It depends on the cry. I know my babies cries enough to know which one means what.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)