Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What age will you start potty training?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:53 PM
  • 33 Replies

We let Esmeralda have a potty chair at 18 months but we were not potty training! We just wanted her to do whatever she wanted with it. She is 2 now and has peed and pooped in it but not on a regular basis. We will officially start potty training this summer when she is 2 1/2. We hope to have her trained by 3 so she can go to preschool the fall of 2012. :)

by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ArmyWifeAshlie
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:55 PM
DS is 20 months now. We're kinda working on it but not heavily. We got the chair when he was 15 months and let him get used to it. Now we're practicing sitting on it for longer periods of time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angela.bouchard
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:13 PM

if we're all still here then >.>

idk when we'll do it! i think we'll just wing it, whenever we feel he is ready, we use cloth diapers so we're in no hurry

jus1jess
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:08 PM

I don't think we had a real start time. DD started walking at 11 months so I let her walk to her little potty. I noticed that she usually woke up dry and peed soon after waking so we made a routine of going in her potty first thing every morning. I took note of her usual potty times during the and took her to the potty when I expected them. I always made potty time fun and rewarding, never something to pressure or get upset about. She was completely on the potty and out of diapers including nights and outings by 21 months. She was cloth diapered and I hear that cloth diapered babies usually finish potty learning sooner. I think our biggest jump into potty learning was when I let her go without the waterproof cover and just let her wear the cotton diaper so we'd have a better idea of when she'd go immediately during or after and turned making it to the potty into a higher fun priority. 

Jess~ 21, became a mom out of wedlock at 17, atheist, liberal, bisexual, pro gay marriage, pro choice, recycling, animal loving, drug/alcohol free, healthy cooking, exclusive natural feeding on demand, public coverless nursing, child led weaning, tandem nursing, patient/slow solid introducing, co sleeping, babywearing, kid carrying, cloth diapering, positive early potty teaching, anti cry it out, non spanking, over 20lbs & still rear facing, non vaxing, non baby piercing, intactivist, home water birthing, attachment parenting, stay at home mom to a happy, healthy, smart, sweet girl and a brand new baby boy

abra
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I start whenever they are ready. I introduce them to it around 2 years and we try on and off, but if they don't take to it I don't force it. My first was 3 before she was ready but it only took a couple days before she had it down so it was so much easier on all of us! Mira is 2 1/2 and I think she'll be ready this summer.

Raeann11
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2011 at 7:33 PM

I don't potty train. I want till they show signs of being ready. I encourage the potty but wait till they are ready to use it. Both my older girls were over 3 when they were out of diapers.

babygomez
by April on May. 21, 2011 at 9:19 PM
I started encouraging her more & more at around 26 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carsonsmommytam
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:30 PM
He showed readiness signs at 18mo so I let him take the lead. At 22mo hes 95% trained.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandyjh
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:32 PM
Around 2, if she feels comfortable with it :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Honeybun09
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:34 PM

How is she doing with it?

Quoting babygomez:

I started encouraging her more & more at around 26 months.

MargauxG
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Tiernan turned 2 in february and Im going to start trying with him... by 2 1/2 we will be in portty train mood! And hopefully have it 100% by 3. 

My oldest started at about 34 months and was fully trained within a month.

My babay (1o months) we;ll start arond the same as Tiernan is

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)