Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's good to let your baby cry...

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:52 PM
  • 24 Replies

because it helps develop their lungs and makes their lungs strong.

My MIL said I should let Emilio cry for a few minutes (2 weeks 2 days) when he cries before doing anything because otherwise his lungs will be weak...I wanted to punch her in the face. I think that's my hormones though LOL.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Daeraelle
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:54 PM
My doctor told me that was why my dd would get hiccups so often. To expand her lungs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LyTe684
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:55 PM
It is good for them to cry. :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SoniaL

Older people say that a lot. I think docs actually used to tell them that. So ridiculous!

MissiHampt

I'm glad you know better.  Lots of new moms get this kind of awful information and think it's ok....

Jerods_Wifey18
Lol, I hate my babies cryin. If it is fighting sleep like my 2yo. I will let my 2yo cry but not my 3 1/2mo!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LyTe684
Interesting..

Quoting Daeraelle:

My doctor told me that was why my dd would get hiccups so often. To expand her lungs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMrs407
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:56 PM

It's not just your hormones, I would have liked to punch her in the face too (DD is 12+ months).  Their lungs develop just fine if you "spoil" the heck out of them and pick them up and hold them all the time.

Honeybun09

LOL I'm sorry but I don't think letting my 2 week old cry is good for him, especially when that's the only way he knows how to communicate. When he is crying, he's trying to tell me something and it's my job as his mother to give him what he needs. I'm not going to let him lay there  crying for a few minutes to "use his lungs" while I'm sitting right there fully capable of answering his message.

rhianonmat

Yeah... the old timers used to think that.  But research shows that it's NOT good to let a baby cry. 

Sonylena
I still get the hiccups at least once a day everyday and I know my mom let me cry lol I was told by a doctor that it's because I swallow air when I talk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)