Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do we get people to show?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:05 PM
  • 10 Replies

My cousin is due in september with her second baby. She hasn't got a clear look but it looks like this baby will be a girl she already has an almost 3 year old son. Her mother (my aunt) and our Aunt don't think she should have a shower this time around unless she is having a girl. She only wants to have a shower because she is a single mom and can't currently afford diapers for her son and she just wants to get diapers.

My question is how do we get a good amount of people to show? We have a large family but half of our cousins don't come to much of anything. I made the suggestion that we throw her a 25th birhtday party and don't let people in the door with out diapers(lol). Her birthday is Aug 24 as well as her sons. She is due around sept 10th so she could very likely share her birthday with her new addition as well.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ASigler86
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Usually you only have a shower for the first so it may be hard to get people to show for a second child, but a diaper party is always a good idea!! Just throw her a 25th "diaper" party. And make it silly, instead of "BYOB" make it "BYOD".

Peppermintred
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:08 PM

If she only needs diapers have a diaper party. Send out invites and say in them if you can't make it please mail diapers to blah blah address.

bchic24
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2011 at 10:11 PM

My family has baby showers for every baby. We think every baby is special and should be celebrated. I think just invite friends then. Or do what the pp said.....diaper party. Serve food and drinks and say just bring diapers. A lot of people will come just for the free food.

erinbills
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Thanks ladies that is what i was thinking but she doesn't think people will show i thought I would try to get some more ideas

Honeybun09
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:13 PM

My family throws showers for every baby but hardly anyone attends after the first, so I told my mom to forget it for any of my future babies. Going through all that time of planning and whatnot to only celebrate with like 4 people is not even worth it.

AllForEvie
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:18 PM

I like the idea of combining the birthday party with a diaper request. Or have a BBQ and just have the baby theme included, like "Burgers 'n Babies Bash."

ASigler86
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:22 PM

I guess I see the birthday/diaper party as pretty normal since from the time I became a mommy, pretty much the only gifts I have asked for are for DD. lol My friends understand that It costs A TON to have a munchkin so they have helped me out and opted to give me diapers and wipes rather than booze and shoes!! :-) Good luck and I hope she has a good turn out and gets everything she needs!!

lfrrll5
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:22 PM
we celebrate every baby. however a diaper party is great idea or ask them to just come celebrate a new baby girl
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cordistew
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:24 PM

It may just be the name, call it something else-like we're going to have a baby sprinkle- an idea I saw someone else post up.  Have a cookout to celebrate a new baby with some games.   Have diaper fund raffles or auctions. 

ashleywilkerson
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:24 PM

i like the diaper party, im having a baby shower with this baby (#3) but only because i didnt get one with either of my girls and this is a boy and im having to start all over.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)