• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 month old, thumb sucking, HELP!

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:57 AM
  • 11 Replies
I cannot figure out how to get my 6 month old to stop sucking his thumb. I have tried taking his thumb out and putting in a binki, only putting clothes on him that the hand part folds over and closes and putting socks on his hands. Nothing works. He still puts his hands in his mouth and sucks even through the fabric. Hes a premie so its important that he doesn't suck his thumb because of the germs he can get into his mouth... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:22 AM
bump! I'm not sure. I give my kids pacifiers. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BiPolarMomto3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:25 AM

As long as his hands are clean, there's no reason why he can't suck his thumb. You can't break them of that habbit until their ready.. Its something he probably did in untero and he's reverting back to it now for comfort... I wouldn't worry about it.. If everything your trying isn't working, then let him do it.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:25 AM
I always let them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Honeybun09
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM

BUMP!

aimeegreen4ever
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:07 PM
The problem with it is that he's a premie and he has an extremely low immune system and there are alot of germs that are carried on hands. I don't want to end up back in the hospital for anything else, especially something that I could have prevented...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grapejelly
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:23 PM

i'd just try as hard as you can to wash his hands, keep them clean.. does he like to suck on other flavors (you could get a mesh feeder and try that) or keep his hands busy during the day with play and make sure they are clean at night and nap time for him to suck his thumb

TheMrs407
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:25 PM

You can't really do much.  At 6 months its still developmentally appropriate to feel the need to suck, especially for a preemie.  As much as I understand you don't want the habit (you can take away the paci but not his hand) I am willing to bet the paci has more germs than his hands.  Our hands are much different since we touch everything (door knobs, light switches, shared keyboards, money, etc.), he doesn't touch all of these things so germs, while still an issue, aren't as much as they would be with us.

Mom71307
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:43 PM

He is going to be putting worse things in his mouth very soon most likely... I understand the concern with an immunocompromised child and being more careful, etc but allowing some germs is GOOD for them so their bodies learn how to fight things off.  I have a preemie too... he is 20 months now and healthy but we were careful in cold/flu season his first year and didn't let people hold him, etc.  But, I BF and we are generally healthy and I keep things reasonably clean, etc so I knew what germs he would get would be from us mostly... and he would get those through breathing general air anyway.  You can't be a helicopter his whole life...

Blue_Spiral
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:52 PM

I'd rather my son suck his hands than a pacifier. He sucks his thumb or my breast for comfort because I never gave him one.

Just make sure his hands are clean. That's what I do. I just wipe his hands down a couple times a day. Hands and feet, since he loves to suck his toes :)

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:11 PM
Just try and keep his hands clean. Maybe ask his pedi
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)