Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to handle someone elses baby?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:59 PM
  • 11 Replies
I babysit a eight month old. Call her ll. She is not mobile like my 7 mth old. She wants to be held all the time her mom wants this behavior to stop and this is a reason she has me babysit. Ll has been going to work with her since birth. Now my Dd picks on ll I can't put them in opposite ends of the room because Dd just crawls to ll. But I really need some help with fixing this hold me all the time problem. I don't have this issue w Dd and really need my arms back! Also I can't step out of lls sight. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MajorsMommy
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:47 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom71307
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Get a carrier...!  There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the "clingyness' going on here.  IT is NOT a problem but a type of personality.  You wouldn't want someone changing your personality... she is simply a higher needs baby that your daughter.  My son is more so than my daughter was... so I wore him more.  We will see how #3 is and I will wear accordingly.  She is having separation anxiety and needs the constant reminder that her caregiver is there and attentive, etc.  NOTHING "wrong" with it at all!

Blue_Spiral
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I'm a little confused. Is she having you watch her because she needs to work, or just to get the neediness to stop??

Because, if it's possible for her to be with her child, she needs to be. "Abandoning" her is not going to stop the clinginess and if anything it will probably contribute to it.

As the PP said, the fact that she needs more is not her fault, it just means she needs more and in my very strong opinion when a baby needs something, you should give it to them, regardless of whether or not you approve of it from a social perspective.

Honeybun09
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:16 PM

BUMP!

la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:20 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MajorsMommy
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:22 PM
SShe needs to work but would like her baby to be more independent I guess I worded it wrong! I can't wear this baby she is too heavy I have torn muscles in my back and a poorly healed neck. I can hardly wear ny Dd. My Dd has never wanted to be held just to be held so I feel lost. I have been holding ll when I can but I have to take care of my own child too and clean house. Ll seems more content if she's alone like if I take my Dd out of the. Room with me ll will play and be fine. Could she be scared of Avery? I hope not...Avery loves ll..she smiles and laughs w her but that makes ll cry!! I'm very lost at what to do...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovin.my.boys
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Bump, my 6 month old is like this, he flips out if I set him down for 2 minutes to go to the bathroom.

Mom71307
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 6:59 AM

The kid will be more independent in her own time when she is ready to be.  You can't make them independent especially at this age.  Try taking an excersaucer or the like into the room you will be in and put ll there while you do whatever.  Sing to her while you clean, etc.  That helped my kids when they were in this stage too.  Also, get on the floor with both of them together and play with them both so ll is not so scared of your daughter.  YES, it is possible for her to be concerned or intimidated or jealous of your daughter.  Good luck!

grapejelly
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 8:16 AM

i'd work on giving her something that really takes her attention then set yourself further and further away from her.  Talk to her while you aren't holding her maybe sing songs that she likes to keep her happy.. hopefully eventually you'll be able to step away and do other things while she is happy & can hear you

kamrynlily07
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 8:25 AM
My 9 month old son is like this. If I'm around he wants to be constantly on me (I wear him a lot too) and when Im not around he is horrible. When I work on Fridays my MIL keeps him, he refuses to take bottles of pumped milk & makes her hold him all the time. Recently I had surgery & my best friend kept my kids and my BF said he cried to whole time. Her remark was "I've just never had a baby I couldn't console before". Seems as he has gotten older it's gotten worse too. I keep telling myself "this too shall pass".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)