Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Time to wean the binky?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:17 PM
  • 11 Replies

Coen used to take a soothie type pacifier since we first got one for him. He would take it at naps and when he would start to get grumpy. In fact, we just bought a leash and let it hang on him whenever he wanted it. He can now pick it up and put it in his mouth.

Since getting the first tooth and having the second cut just recently...he won't take his paci. He wants to suck still, and will try and use me as a pacifier all night. He will actually wake up and cry if I try and substitute one for the boob. Its starting to wear on me, literally.

Anyway, is this a good time to just wean him from the pacifier? Or should I continue to try and give it to him to soothe the sucking need. Its not that he is hungry and nursing. He will only suck for a few moments and fall asleep (nip in mouth) and wake/fuss when I try and unlatch. He is now 7 months old. I also notice that he doesn't take one when he falls asleep in the carseat. He literally spits it out everytime we try now.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angela.bouchard
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:20 PM

he doesn't need the binky, i weaned my son from his when he was between 4 and 5 months old. it sounds like he's uninterested

Mamagirlz
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I would just try and not give it to him to see how he does.  All my babies stopped taking it at 4 mo old on their own.

drealu
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I see 4 teeth coming on top, all white right now. Maybe it just hurts him to suck on it? its still the newborn soothie, he wouldn't take anything else (we've tried).

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:26 PM

My ds stopped at 2 months. Little lady still wants one (at 6 weeks) so we are playing it by ear for now.  I intend on taking it away by 6 months though.

pse07
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:27 PM
it seems like he weaned himself from it. He no longer wants it just you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I would wean the binky.

K.a.C.87
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:33 PM

if he doesnt want it. try not to give it to him. the earlier you wean him the better

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Bump, no experience with binky's

abra
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:24 PM
yeah, if he doesn't want it, just wean him. We are weaning Jude (and Mira) off of them right now. Jude doesn't care much but it is pulling teeth for Miss Mira (she 2). Usually I wean them before they turn 2, but Jude was born one month after Mira's 2nd birthday and I didn't want to take it away during a big transition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jridgill
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:00 PM
If he doesn't want the paci then it sounds like he is done with it.

My second literally had to have my boob in his mouth the entire time he slept for the first 14 months. It was hard but I just kept telling myself it would not last forever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)